[SOLVED] Set default download/save location to secondary monitor

Toasted Gorilla

Reputable
Jan 16, 2017
Hello everyone!

Is there any way to set the default download/save location in Windows to the secondary monitor, without setting it as primary in the display settings?
I wish stuff I download or save in programs would be placed on the second monitor desktop, so I wouldn't have to constantly resize what I'm working on to drag stuff into it or open different things.
Is there maybe some sort of program that lets you define a default "position" on the desktop, or something of the sort?
Or maybe a way to make it so that the desktop on the second monitor is a different folder altogether? That would be quite cool!

Thank you for your help!

Solution
one person found the opposite, downloads appear on 2nd, he wanted on 1st. Seems he "fixed" it by not using Stardock Fences so it could be you could look at it to control where the box appears. I don't think its free though.

oh wait, thats files saved to desktop, might not help

USAFRet

Titan
Where something is saved has nothing to do with what monitors you're working with.

Saved items go to a folder, not a monitor.
Or it may be saved to 'the desktop' , which is a folder. In which case the desktop is spanned across the two monitors, and you can't tell it 'where', in that whole space.

Please clarify what you're talking about.

Most web browsers - if configured to download to same folder each time - doesn't throw up the save/download dialog box, and the screen doesn't matter.

If what you're talking about is actually that you want the download/save dialog box to appear on the same screen every time, I suggest you try several web browsers and test if one or all exhibits this behaviour.

Maybe, only maybe one of the browsers may have an extension that manages downloading and can do that, but I highly doubt so.

Toasted Gorilla

Reputable
Jan 16, 2017
Where something is saved has nothing to do with what monitors you're working with.

Saved items go to a folder, not a monitor.
Or it may be saved to 'the desktop' , which is a folder. In which case the desktop is spanned across the two monitors, and you can't tell it 'where', in that whole space.

Please clarify what you're talking about.

When I download/save something to my Desktop, it gets sent to the top left corner of the main monitor. What I'm asking is, is there a way to change the default position on the desktop that files are saved to. I'm well aware that "Saved items go to a folder, not a monitor.", but when the desktop folder is spanned across several monitors, I'm asking if there is a way to choose which monitor files appear on. How that is handled behind the scenes is irrelevant.
I hope that clears it up. Thank you for the reply!

When I download/save something to my Desktop, it gets sent to the top left corner of the main monitor. What I'm asking is, is there a way to change the default position on the desktop that files are saved to. I'm well aware that "Saved items go to a folder, not a monitor.", but when the desktop folder is spanned across several monitors, I'm asking if there is a way to choose which monitor files appear on. How that is handled behind the scenes is irrelevant.
I hope that clears it up. Thank you for the reply!
Create a folder on your desktop, open it, position it where you want it to be. Change browser' download location to that folder.

Colif

Win 11 Master
one person found the opposite, downloads appear on 2nd, he wanted on 1st. Seems he "fixed" it by not using Stardock Fences so it could be you could look at it to control where the box appears. I don't think its free though.

oh wait, thats files saved to desktop, might not help

Solution