Set The World On Fire: Benchmarking 'Just Cause 3'

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddybody

Distinguished
Wheres the 1440p benchmarks?

Understanding it's not as ubiquitous (yet) as 1080p and not the resolution dujour of 2160p...still alot of folks who care about it :(

Daniel Ladishew

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
I'm still not a fan of this hodge-podge benchmark style. If you want to show how it plays on different hardware, that is fine, but the game settings need to be the same across the board or you just going to end up with predictable scaled graphes that I could draw for you without knowing the results.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
The graph needs to mention which systems are mobile GPUs. Mentioning that the 280 beats the 390x in some of the cases without explaining why is ridiculous.

Turns out the 390x was in a laptop?

This coincides with my limited experience (thanks for the free game Tom's!). Running a 4790k with R9 280 and 16GB of 1600 MHz RAM on Very High settings. It is more than playable at FHD but the minimum FPS isn't nearly 60+. I have my FPS counter turned off because it is distracting but it feels like 30 - 40 minimum. Still very smooth gameplay even in low FPS scenes.

I'm still not a fan of this hodge-podge benchmark style. If you want to show how it plays on different hardware, that is fine, but the game settings need to be the same across the board or you just going to end up with predictable scaled graphes that I could draw for you without knowing the results.

For this one they did that. All systems were tested on the game's low, medium, high and very high presets. They did this one right.

heirdeux

Reputable
Jun 29, 2015
Would be nice to see the benchies with your i3 too

I don't have all the parts yet for my i3-4160 build, but I should have it in a few months, and it will have most, if not all, of the same parts as my initial build.

shortbus25

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
This is getting ridiculous. Who the hell is writing these things any more a guy living in his momma's basement and letting his friends bring their PC's over so they can benchmark a game. I understand wanting to scale it on different HW but nothing is the same from any of the systems. I expect a 5930k with a 980ti to be the fastest theirs a lot of money there. Also different hdd's in every system what are you actually trying to show us? Is it that if you have different hardware it will run different? "DUH" It is always going to differ if I had a 16 core cpu and a $700+ video card I would hope like hell that it ran better than every system I put it against. I think toms advertising job's on the internet is screwing us from actually getting usfule info anymore. They are letting anyone write articles having these random hodge-podge bench parties for every game is getting rather bothersome.

Xaltar

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
I think a lot of people miss the point of this kind of benchmark comparison. Testing across vastly different system is actually useful for people trying to get an idea of how their own system will perform. It isn't about getting comparable results between the systems tested, it is about providing a broader array of systems for readers to compare their own systems to. I would complain if this was an actual review on a CPU or GPU but it isn't, its multiple baselines that cover a broad mix of hardware configurations catering to different budgets.

I think most of you are missing the point, highlighted in bold text on the article, that states this is not a full review, more like some preliminary findings. Clearly this is not a lab based review that uses an equal playing field down to the OS configuration. It's just an article with a few superficial comparisons. You guys need to get your panties unbunched and give Mr. Peñaflorida, who is not new and not some schmuck off the internet, a break. Perhaps you think you can do better in which case I'd suggest you gather up all your systems and provide an exact, baseline comparison of this yourself.

Otherwise, just be glad they bothered to take the time to offer ANY kind of preliminary results, although I still think the charts are a bit wacky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS