Question Set up RAID

rockerrb3

Honorable
Dec 1, 2016
I want to set up 2 external hard drives as the second mirroring the first (drive F should be a mirror of drive E). I want them to still appear as 2 separate drives and I want the mirroring to take place anytime a change is detected in drive E. How do I set this up so that it is done permanatly?

I want to set up 2 external hard drives as the second mirroring the first (drive F should be a mirror of drive E).
External drives in RAID? LOL NO!

Every time a drive is disconnected, RAID1 becomes degraded and full re-synchronization is required.
Not just changes, full res-ynchronisation.
This means one drive is being read from start to finish and data is copied bit by bit to second drive and
this is done every time you disconnect and reconnect any of those external drives.

RAID is absolutely not for external drives.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
I want this to occur automatically, i don't want to have to run something. Some of the files that are on drive F I might want to copy over to drive E or I might want to delete them.
The RealTimeSync function within FreeFileSync.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KXo6yOhTWo

The application is running in the background, does its thing when a 'change' is detected.

Again, RAID is NOT what you want.

May we ask what is your actual need?
There might be some other function or tool to do what you really need it to do.

USAFRet

Titan
I tried the software and it didn't work. drive e shows 3004.10 GBs used and drive F shows 2973.26 GBs used
Some deeper info would be helpful...

1. What are these actual drives?
  2. What, specifically, is showing you this consumed space?
  3. Screenshots....upload your pics to imgur.com, post the link here.
  4. A disparity in size may simply be due to fragmentation differences on the two drives. Is the number of files/folders the same?