Setting a different IP range to a WAP

steve_barrese

Reputable
Aug 26, 2014
Hello,
I looked for it in the forum but I didn't find anything relating to the topic.

I'm just wondering if it is possible to assign to a WAP an IPs range different from the range of the router IPs.

I try to explain what is in my mind.
The network is connected to internet through a Netgear D6300 modem router wifi, IP range is 192.168.1.xxx
On another floor we want to add a WAP to create a wireless network since the D6300 wifi signal doesn't reach the office upstairs.
Let's assume the WAP IP is for example 192.168.1.36.
Now, can I set the WAP's IP range to 192.168.2.xxx DHCP mode in order to have a separated network and to have all 254 positions available?

Thanks.
S.

Solution
In order to run a separate subnet like that you need a router (a real router). SOHO "routers" like the Netgear D6300 are really gateway devices, that is they only route between the WAN and LAN ports but cannot do internal routing on the LAN side. If you just need more IP Addresses you could change your subnet mask from (what I am guessing) is 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0. This would give you all the numbers after 192.168 to hand out to devices. The problem with doing that is it makes it where you cannot run separate networks in the future because that private address has to start with 192.168. This is why most businesses of any size use the 10.x private addressing scheme. You could change your addresses to 10.1.x.x with a...
In order to run a separate subnet like that you need a router (a real router). SOHO "routers" like the Netgear D6300 are really gateway devices, that is they only route between the WAN and LAN ports but cannot do internal routing on the LAN side. If you just need more IP Addresses you could change your subnet mask from (what I am guessing) is 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.0.0. This would give you all the numbers after 192.168 to hand out to devices. The problem with doing that is it makes it where you cannot run separate networks in the future because that private address has to start with 192.168. This is why most businesses of any size use the 10.x private addressing scheme. You could change your addresses to 10.1.x.x with a 255.255.0.0 subnet mask and have plenty of clients. Then in the future if you needed a separate subnet for something else you could use the second octet to define that network, like 10.2.x.x.

Solution