[SOLVED] Setting my RAM speed to 3200MHz from 2133MHz a bit late

AtomicV

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
So I've been using my PC with the default 2133MHz speed for 8 months now (I know I'm a moron). But I just recently set the speed on 3200MHZ using BIOS. It does show 3200MHZ now on CPU-Z which is good. But I'm a bit concerned on setting that speed 8 months late. Is setting the 3200MHz speed 8 months late have a bad effect on my ram or any other of my components? Just making sure guys. Thanks! :)

Solution
Hi AtomicV.

You're applying an overclock to the RAM to achieve 3200MHz but if your CPU and Motherboard can do the 3200MHz and you see no instabilities in the future by going to 3200MHz you're ok. It won't damage anything.

AtomicV

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Hi AtomicV.

You're applying an overclock to the RAM to achieve 3200MHz but if your CPU and Motherboard can do the 3200MHz and you see no instabilities in the future by going to 3200MHz you're ok. It won't damage anything.
Thank you so much! But I do have a Ryzen 5 2600. I've read somewhere about AMD processors "requires" more ram speed. That's why using the default 2133MHz speed for 8 months concerns me.

Ferimer

Distinguished
At Nemesia stated, the only thing you have done is allow your CPU to utilize ram at a lower speed. All you did was sacrifice performance for longevity. If anything when its "overclocked" that is when it just burns out slightly faster than it would if not overclocked. also don't be alarmed ram will be strong for awhile

Reactions: AtomicV

Endre

Reputable
So I've been using my PC with the default 2133MHz speed for 8 months now (I know I'm a moron). But I just recently set the speed on 3200MHZ using BIOS. It does show 3200MHZ now on CPU-Z which is good. But I'm a bit concerned on setting that speed 8 months late. Is setting the 3200MHz speed 8 months late have a bad effect on my ram or any other of my components? Just making sure guys. Thanks! :)

The fact that you used your memory at a lower speed is no problem. It’s just like driving a racing car at a very low speed. No issues.

Issues might accure from now on if your system can’t handle that 3200MHz speed (which it should be able to handle).

Reactions: AtomicV

AtomicV

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
The fact that you used your memory at a lower speed is no problem. It’s just like driving a racing car at a very low speed. No issues.

Issues might accure from now on if your system can’t handle that 3200MHz speed (which it should be able to handle).
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
MOBO: MSI B450M Mortar Titanium

I assume both of them can handle 3200MHz ram speed? Or am I wrong? Lol.

You guys should be recommending the OP run a ram tester like memtest86 to make sure the ram is actually stable at 3200. If it's not stable and you get crashing, you could potentially corrupt your Windows installation or other files.

@AtomicV
Run memtest86 for minimum one full pass with the automatic four pass test. The full test may take between 2-3 hours, and it's usually better to run the full four pass test, but one full pass usually detects issues. If you get any errors, then you will have to tweak the ram settings. You want zero errors for a successful test. https://www.memtest86.com/