Question Setting up a Pi-hole on a Mesh + 2.2.2 router, problems assigning static IP to Pihole in router's firmware.

medic5678

Commendable
Jun 26, 2022
You're supposed to set a static lease for the Pihole. However, I don't see anything in the firmware about a static lease table. This is Mesh 2.2.2 router. I had a Mofi router, and I could assign static addresses. Any ideas?

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Why not just set a static ip on Pi-Hole instead a reserved dynamic ip? And what is this mesh 2.2.2 router? And the Mofi?

Product links please.

Last edited:

medic5678

Commendable
Jun 26, 2022
Why not just set a static ip on Pi-Hole instead a reserved dynamic ip? And what is this mesh 2.2.2 router? And the Mofi?

Product links please.
The Pihole has a static table. Can I include the Pihole itself in its own table? The Mofi 5500 had a section in the firmware to set up a static lease table. I don't see that in the mesh 2.2.2 firmware (generic Chinese x62 router). I'm sure it's simple if I knew what I was doing. Hard to find documentation on the firmware.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Pi-Hole has it;s own DHCP server but you can't use it to set its own reserved dynamic ip, same are all other routers.

Disregard all other routers static releasees, just set Pi-Hole its own static ip and forget it.

medic5678

Commendable
Jun 26, 2022
Pi-Hole has it;s own DHCP server but you can't use it to set its own reserved dynamic ip, same are all other routers.

Disregard all other routers static releasees, just set Pi-Hole its own static ip and forget it.
The question is where? I could turn off DCHP and WIIFI in the router and just use it as a modem. Then I *coulld* set up my Asus router to assign a static address to the Pihole, and point the DNS to the Pihole address. What's throwing me is there's no obvious place to assign static IP's in the Mesh firmware.. I've got an email out to the PIhole seller.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Yet another Asus router? How many routers exactly do you have and running at the same time on the same network? And the Pi-Hole device is not even a DIY? Which is from where?

Please, you should have only one router running and one dhcp server on the same network, either router's dhcp or pi-hole's dhcp. You can't have multiple devices (router or pi-hole) all giving out dhcp leases, static reserved or not. Unless they are are on different range on the same network, but that is still not the standard way.

However, since you will be using pi-hole as the dns on the network, the pi-hole should just set a static ip. Do not think about getting static leased ip from other routers for it, period, no one will setup like this.

If your router is 192.168.1.1, then set pi-hole on 192.168.1.2, dhcp range can start from 192.168.1.10 to whatever you like.

You should disable router's dhcp server and use Pi-Hole as dhcp server
https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/how...t-in-dhcp-server-and-why-would-i-want-to/3026

Last edited:

medic5678

Commendable
Jun 26, 2022
Running my Asus in AP mode. I have probably 100 things connected to it and all I have to do to change a broadband router is just set the IP address. I've had a lot of problems which have been solved with the new router. The Mofi was a dog. So I'm only running one device with DHCP. I bought a PiHole off Ebay for $50 rather than mess with it myself. My time is worth $100 an hour and I can't possibly mess with it myself.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
OK, so if you have some ideas now, do you still insist getting a static leased ip for pi-hole from current router (whatever it is)?

Last edited: