Setting up an Asus router behind an Etisalat D-Link router using PPPoE

Oct 19, 2018
First I have to say that I'm not knowledgeable on networking, so I might be making some really basic error here. But I've tried and tried and read every post and still I am stuck so hopefully someone here can help.

I have an Etisalat D Link DIR850L router which connect to my broadband provider without any problem. I recently bought an ASUS RT-AC68U to replace it because I want to be able to run a VPN.

After lots of faffing around (I had to get the VLAN ID from Etisalat who didnt want to give it out) I was able to get the new router working. Great! However, my wife uses YouTube a lot so wants to bypass the VPN so it is faster. For that reason I am trying to use both wireless routers. Router 1 (the D-Link) would run normally so she could access it via wifi for youtube etc. Router 2 (the Asus) would sit behind it and I could then run the VPN on that.

So far is this making sense?

What I did:
Connected the broadband cable to WAN port of Router 1 and can connect to the internet. I connected the LAN port 1 from Router 1 via Ethernet cable to Router 2's WAN port. Unfortunately router 2 does not connect to the internet.

What am I doing wrong?

Router 1 has an IP address of 192.168.1.1 and Router 2 is 192.168.2.1 so there should be no clash?

On Router 1 I connect using PPPOE. On Router 2 I also try to connect to PPPOE but there is no connection to the internet. I can't work out why.

Oct 19, 2018

Thanks. I knew I was doing something wrong
:/

How do I configure the Asus router (Router 2) as DHCP. The options are:

• 1. Dynamic IP (I tried this with Enable WAN, Enable NAT and Connect to DNS automatically all set to Yes. It doesn't work. Error message is "Your ISP's DHCP does not function correctly")
    2. Static IP. If I enter this I need to enter an IP address. Do I use Router 1's IP (192.168.1.1)? I also need to enter a subnet mask and a Default gateway. I've no idea what to put in those?
    3. PPPoE
    4. PPTP
    5. L2TP