Question Setting up Dolby Atmos Audio Configuration with NVIDIA RTX 4070 on Windows 10

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 14, 2024
Hello everyone,

I have an NVIDIA RTX 4070 graphics card with multiple outputs, including several DisplayPort ports and an HDMI 2.1 output. I'm using Windows 10 as my operating system.
I would like to use one of the DisplayPort ports to connect my 4K monitor for gaming visuals, and reserve the HDMI 2.1 output exclusively to connect my Dolby Atmos soundbar for spatialized audio.

Is it possible to configure this setup on my PC?

Additionally, could you confirm if using Dolby Atmos through a soundbar is free, or if it requires purchasing an app from the Microsoft Store?

Thanks in advance for your help! ;)

Best regards,

In fact, it’s 1000 euros instead of 2400 euros; it’s a great price, isn’t it? But with the high latency we discussed earlier for gaming, it won’t be very good... So now, I’m not so sure.

In France, taxes are included in the price.
For like 300Euro more you could get 5.0.2 Atmos Setup Like Proper Dedicated Speaker system. Surely superior sounding. Later you can add in a sub around another 400-500 Euro and that should do it. Overall sound quality gonna be much superior. And as you be having a proper AVR managing everything it will be much easier setup in a way.

Jul 14, 2024
For like 300Euro more you could get 5.0.2 Atmos Setup Like Proper Dedicated Speaker system. Surely superior sounding. Later you can add in a sub around another 400-500 Euro and that should do it. Overall sound quality gonna be much superior. And as you be having a proper AVR managing everything it will be much easier setup in a way.
Yes, understood. But I was able to test the system with a movie, and I found the Dolby Atmos sound and the elevation of sound with the Era 300 very good. In fact, it's in an environment where using cables would be very cumbersome, and I don't have much space, especially for a home theater.

Yes, understood. But I was able to test the system with a movie, and I found the Dolby Atmos sound and the elevation of sound with the Era 300 very good. In fact, it's in an environment where using cables would be very cumbersome, and I don't have much space, especially for a home theater.
See if space is an issue then fine. But otherwise the Dedicated Setup would Destroy not only SONUS system but any HT in a Box or Sound Bar system you could think of.

Space and cables... Don't you have another wireless system with relatively small speakers to propose that would be much better than Sonos?
Cables not an issue for most part. As you can run them along the skirting if you guys have brick and concrete walls or even better run through walls if dry wall setup. Wireless I will need to check what options we have. But seriously there will be huge difference in sound quality.

Jul 14, 2024
May work or not. It depends. But seriously most other soundbar has second option of input support not only one. But yeah some work some don't. Hard to tell. Some simply accept audio over HDMI for its simplicity. Without the need of signal being ARC/eARC.
I don’t understand, my test is solely aimed at determining whether the Sonos soundbar works without an ARC source. My test should allow me to prove it, right? If there is sound, it's okay; if there is no sound, it's not okay.

Jul 14, 2024
Cables not an issue for most part. As you can run them along the skirting if you guys have brick and concrete walls or even better run through walls if dry wall setup. Wireless I will need to check what options we have. But seriously there will be huge difference in sound quality.
In theory, could we have wireless speakers dedicated to channels and Atmos? Don’t they exist?
It’s not the inherently wireless aspect that reduces sound quality.

@kerberos_20 As you said if you have an AVR with eARC you can check that port falls under "Output" section and not in the "Input" Section.
ARC on TV is comparable to KVM switch on PC (switch between multiple inputs to to switch to one of sound outputs)
ARC on TV replaces audio/video receiver, it replaces all analog/digital cables, so same hdmi cable can be used to transfer audio related data between devices (ie licenses and device capability between input/output devices)
No see here is the issue. @kerberos_20 Your Base Theory is Right but unlike USB HDMI works One Way. Output to Input. So even thought the HDMI signal itself carries Audio the issue with ARC/eARC port is that it is not an Input Port but an Output Port. So we cannot simply connect Audio Output from HDMI from PC to or any HDMI Output which does not support ARC/eARC and expect it to work. ARC/eARC is Output to Output Connection. That is the issue. For Regular HDMI port it wouldn't have been an issue at all.
thats not how HDMI works, eARC signal is nothing special
eARC is only required if you have TV in between PC and soundbar (TV acts as a ouptut switch)
https://www.temu.com/be/kvm-switch-...-2-usb-cables-included-g-601099528927628.html
this is what is ARC doing,its a hub/switch for the audio related purpose
TV has built in this kind of switch called ARC/eARC
if you have TV without eARC, then you will need ARC extractor (if TV doesnt have sound outputs), because without eARC, TV cannot switch HDMI input into HDMI output to send hdmi audio over HDMI
thats why eARC is required on TV (for hdmi output)
PC is already HDMI output
if you do direct connection, you wont need any switch

edit:
now i did some deep dive and SONOS doesnt support direct HDMI connection...thats an odd move from SONOS since its a basic non optional HDMI feature

Last edited:
ARC on TV is comparable to KVM switch on PC (switch between multiple inputs to to switch to one of sound outputs)
ARC on TV replaces audio/video receiver, it replaces all analog/digital cables, so same hdmi cable can be used to transfer audio related data between devices (ie licenses and device capability between input/output devices)

thats not how HDMI works, eARC signal is nothing special
eARC is only required if you have TV in between PC and soundbar (TV acts as a ouptut switch)
https://www.temu.com/be/kvm-switch-...-2-usb-cables-included-g-601099528927628.html
this is what is ARC doing,its a hub/switch for the audio related purpose
TV has built in this kind of switch called ARC/eARC
if you have TV without eARC, then you will need ARC extractor (if TV doesnt have sound outputs), because without eARC, TV cannot switch HDMI input into HDMI output to send hdmi audio over HDMI
thats why eARC is required on TV (for hdmi output)
PC is already HDMI output
if you do direct connection, you wont need any switch

edit:
now i did some deep dive and SONOS doesnt support direct HDMI connection...thats an odd move from SONOS since its a basic non optional HDMI feature
ARC on TV end is different. LOL. Yeah man it is a complex concept. TV it is actual Input Port which has feedback feature on it. So there the Input put acts like Output for Audio. While on Receiver and Soundbar end It is Output.

ARC on TV end is different. LOL. Yeah man it is a complex concept. TV it is actual Input Port which has feedback feature on it. So there the Input put acts like Output for Audio. While on Receiver and Soundbar end It is Output.
its not complex
ARC is both input and ouput
you connect receiver with TV through ARC, you play something on receiver, TV can pick it up and you can hear it playing from TV
you play something on TV, receiver picks it up and you can hear it from receiver
speaker comnfiguration done on ARC main device (usualy TV)
input/ouptut doesnt really matter, single cable carries both audio inputs/ouputs

thats the normal way, sonos on the other hand used HDMI, fully cut out everything from HDMI which is mandatory to be HDMI certified device and left just CEC and ARC, meaning, it cant be used with HDMI, as it is not HDMI device, but ARC only device (no HDMI audio)

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
its not complex
ARC is both input and ouput
you connect receiver with TV through ARC, you play something on receiver, TV can pick it up and you can hear it playing from TV
you play something on TV, receiver picks it up and you can hear it from receiver
speaker comnfiguration done on ARC main device (usualy TV)
input/ouptut doesnt really matter, single cable carries both audio inputs/ouputs

thats the normal way, sonos on the other hand used HDMI, fully cut out everything from HDMI which is mandatory to be HDMI certified device and left just CEC and ARC, meaning, it cant be used with HDMI, as it is not HDMI device, but ARC only device (no HDMI audio)
It's not complex indeed but it's trash depending on your monitor/TV brand. I'm forced to use it ATM Sony for example is atrocious and is a GD headache. LG requires CEC to be able to use ARC which is dumb AF.

No true standardization was ever set thus it's still in the state of self regulation by manufacturers and hasn't evolved in the past 10-15 years.

Jul 14, 2024

Ok, this is in any case quite consistent with what I can find on the web. In my configuration, for it to work, it is always recommended to use an adapter that provides an ARC signal. So, we'll assume that the Amazon adapter is necessary (I'll need to find the right one, the second one seems fine).

What bothers me now is the latency, which apparently is quite significant. Since my primary use will be for gaming, is the latency really too high? Will I actually feel a noticeable delay between the sound and the action? Couldn't this latency issue have been improved by now with software and firmware updates?

LG requires CEC to be able to use ARC which is dumb AF
mine samsung TV needs that aswell, it needs to read if receiver is on or off and turn it on/off if needed, if its off it will switch to tv speakers, when receiver turned on from receiver or from tv, audio will switch to receiver
this does make some sense to be automatic way of configuring source to receiver
so you can use single remote, this has been common practice for a while now

What bothers me now is the latency, which apparently is quite significant. Since my primary use will be for gaming, is the latency really too high? Will I actually feel a noticeable delay between the sound and the action? Couldn't this latency issue have been improved by now with software and firmware updates?
latency on sonos arc is 75ms
this is not a issue for TV content, where TV will just buffer up video to keep audio in sync, so the latency between audio/video will be same
for gaming is quite high, even TVs as a display can go down to 15ms latency, which is still okay for gaming

in your case, you will hear audio much later than video
its like using bluetooth headphones in windows, unusable for everthing aside from just audio player

Jul 14, 2024
latency on sonos arc is 75ms
this is not a issue for TV content, where TV will just buffer up video to keep audio in sync, so the latency between audio/video will be same
for gaming is quite high, even TVs as a display can go down to 15ms latency, which is still okay for gaming

in your case, you will hear audio much later than video
its like using bluetooth headphones in windows, unusable for everthing aside from just audio player
Ok, so based on what you're telling me, I can definitely forget about this purchase. Is it unlikely that this latency issue was fixed by a firmware update?