Setting up dual monitors DVI+HDMI

Aleonris

Distinguished
May 24, 2012
I just got a Titan X and I am trying to set up a dual monitor display. The titan has 1 DVI, 1 HDMI and 3 DVI-D displays but none of the DVI-D or HDMI work, only the DVI. I tested it on both screens and both worth through DVI. My second (smaller and older) monitor only has VGA and HDMI, so I use a VGA > DVI adapter and it works like charm. Is there anything I have to do to get DVI-D and/or HDMI to work for my dual monitors?

Solution
Have you tried checking the Nvidia control panel to see if they're actually being activated? Sometimes that can happen when you plug/unplug a DisplayPort monitor (can't remember that happening with HDMI though). In the control panel, you'd go to the "Set Up Multiple Display" section and see if the inactive monitor is listed there. If it's there, it'll have an unmarked checkbox, which you can click on to enable the display. If that doesn't work (the display doesn't show up in the list), then you might want to try updating the Nvidia drivers, or if you're already on the latest version, try reinstalling it. Also, sometimes DisplayPort just acts weird with some monitors, and a simple restart after plugging in the monitor might end up fixing...

doubletake

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Don't know what you really have, but it's not a Titan X lol
All Maxwell and Pascal-based cards have 1x DVI-DL (I and D respectively), 3xDisplayPort and 1xHDMI 2.0.

So I'm assuming you have a Maxwell Titan X since only that one has a DVI-I port which allows analog connections (Pascal Titan X is digital only). What exactly is your problem? None of the DisplayPorts or the HDMI work when connecting them to your newer monitor?

Aleonris

Distinguished
May 24, 2012
I might have just given the wrong names lol, but yes it has 3 HDMI-looking ports, one HDMI and one DVI. When I plug in any monitor through HDMI or DisplayPort (which is what I meant by DVI-D lol sorry I'm a noob with PCs) none of them work, only the one pluggs into the DVI port.

doubletake

Honorable
Sep 30, 2012
Have you tried checking the Nvidia control panel to see if they're actually being activated? Sometimes that can happen when you plug/unplug a DisplayPort monitor (can't remember that happening with HDMI though). In the control panel, you'd go to the "Set Up Multiple Display" section and see if the inactive monitor is listed there. If it's there, it'll have an unmarked checkbox, which you can click on to enable the display. If that doesn't work (the display doesn't show up in the list), then you might want to try updating the Nvidia drivers, or if you're already on the latest version, try reinstalling it. Also, sometimes DisplayPort just acts weird with some monitors, and a simple restart after plugging in the monitor might end up fixing it, just give all of that a try and see if anything works.

Solution