Question setting up security cameras and other stuff ?

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
Hi All
I'm wanting to setup my camping/traveling gear with outside cook station and a freezer chest.
I don't have any gear yet. Only a bunch of old off brand smart phone's and a few raspberry pi's SBC's.

I want to have live access to cameras. I'm thinking loud bear horn and lights would keep the kitchen tent/shelter and cook gear safe. Just need it connected to proximity sencers or allow remote activation on live feed cameras.
Any suggestions on how to get this without monthly fee's ?

USAFRet

Titan
Hi All
I'm wanting to setup my camping/traveling gear with outside cook station and a freezer chest.
I don't have any gear yet. Only a bunch of old off brand smart phone's and a few raspberry pi's SBC's.

I want to have live access to cameras. I'm thinking loud bear horn and lights would keep the kitchen tent/shelter and cook gear safe. Just need it connected to proximity sencers or allow remote activation on live feed cameras.
Any suggestions on how to get this without monthly fee's ?
How to set it up depends entirely on what you're working with.

A Pi based system will probably require some coding on your part.
Prox sensors will be VERY hard to get right. Is that a bear, or is it a cat walking by? Or is it just rain?

Then you have to consider how you're going to power all this.
Battery will need to be recharged or replaced at least daily.
Powered devices need....well power.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
How to set it up depends entirely on what you're working with.

A Pi based system will probably require some coding on your part.
Prox sensors will be VERY hard to get right. Is that a bear, or is it a cat walking by? Or is it just rain?

Then you have to consider how you're going to power all this.
Battery will need to be recharged or replaced at least daily.
Powered devices need....well power.
LOL I just imagine a cat having a heart attack.
Solar/wind turbine's are power.
I was hoping some one might have suggestions on hardware, company/service's. Mainly I just don't want to be paying a monthly bill for service.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
I'm wanting live feed so I can see the camera's thief and can react to them being there. I guise I can have similar and have server upload to a cloud of some sort for recovery in a luting scenario.

USAFRet

Titan
Can you see live wen away from network ? I mainly only need to see wen proximity sensors react and/or ondemand.
When I open that up on the router, yes.
Recently went on vacation, and was easily able to see my front and back yard, live, from 600 miles away.

Be careful about your expectations of motion and proximity notification for outside cameras.

"Outside" is a chaotic environment. Everything is moving, all the time.
Clouds, tree limbs, neighbors flag, lady walking her dog, car headlights.
A spider spinning her web, right in front of the lens, for 3 hours.

Reolink has a couple of cameras that are solar powered, connected via 4G cellphone. I don't have those, but apparently they work well.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
When I open that up on the router, yes.
Recently went on vacation, and was easily able to see my front and back yard, live, from 600 miles away.

Be careful about your expectations of motion and proximity notification for outside cameras.

"Outside" is a chaotic environment. Everything is moving, all the time.
Clouds, tree limbs, neighbors flag, lady walking her dog, car headlights.
A spider spinning her web, right in front of the lens, for 3 hours.

Reolink has a couple of cameras that are solar powered, connected via 4G cellphone. I don't have those, but apparently they work well.
Cool. I don't really mind the falls positive sensors turning them on. I just don't want to have the monitor and me on 24/7. I do worry that if I can't prevent them from snagging the hdd of the footage.

USAFRet

Titan
True..
I have a few ideas for mounting way high. You probably are going to laugh But I was actual thinking about having a drone on remote just to fallow them :p
I have a quadrotor.
That won't work.

1. Flight time. 20 minutes is about the best you'd get. So you'd be watching and have it primed and ready.
  2. Line of sight. Assuming USA, you can only fly when you can actually see it. If you can see it, you can see them.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
I have a quadrotor.
That won't work.

1. Flight time. 20 minutes is about the best you'd get. So you'd be watching and have it primed and ready.
  2. Line of sight. Assuming USA, you can only fly when you can actually see it. If you can see it, you can see them.
Ok . so its an fcc law about line of sight ? That sucks.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
FAA.

"Keep your drone within the visual line of sight or use a visual observer who is co-located (physically next to) and in direct communication with you. "
So either way a live person has to be in line of sight.. LAME.. The hole idea of a drone is to see what I cant see with naked eye. Like all the YouTube'ers do.
But I guess this law is due to ppl remote spying.
I'll have to look in to it and see if I can find some kind off military/authority loop hole.
Or maybe if a bot/camera can be considered line of sight.

USAFRet

Titan
So either way a live person has to be in line of sight.. LAME.. The hole idea of a drone is to see what I cant see with naked eye. Like all the YouTube'ers do.
But I guess this law is due to ppl remote spying.
I'll have to look in to it and see if I can find some kind off military/authority loop hole.
Or maybe if a bot/camera can be considered line of sight.
No, it is so you don't run into something.

Flying by just the front mounted camera (FPV) is a LOT harder than it looks.

Is there a tree 18" to my left? Dunno.
Is there a rescue helicopter coming up behind? You, the drone operator have the legal requirement to "See and Avoid". Period.

Military/government is a whole different thing. And you are not that.

"The hole idea of a drone is to see what I cant see with naked eye. "
Take it up 200 feet. You'll see a hole(sic) lot of stuff you can't see with the naked eye at ground level, and still have the thing within line of sight.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
No, it is so you don't run into something.

Flying by just the front mounted camera (FPV) is a LOT harder than it looks.

Is there a tree 18" to my left? Dunno.
Is there a rescue helicopter coming up behind? You, the drone operator have the legal requirement to "See and Avoid". Period.

Military/government is a whole different thing. And you are not that.

"The hole idea of a drone is to see what I cant see with naked eye. "
Take it up 200 feet. You'll see a hole(sic) lot of stuff you can't see with the naked eye at ground level, and still have the thing within line of sight.
Ya.. If I was to control it I defiantly would rely on more than a non 360 front mounted camera/monitor.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
Yeah, drones with 360 degree cameras are few and far between, and aren't inexpensive. Like, starting at $1k.

And the Line of Sight requirement still stands.
I figured I'd be around 1-3k on my security system. Thankfully I'm a very frugal shopper/designer. Wen I get more time and get back on this project ill up date my solutions to a bulletproof security system. I' hoping ill be free in 3 weeks to put more research in this >_<
As always.. TY for your input and assistance.

USAFRet

Titan
I figured I'd be around 1-3k on my security system.
4x Reolink Go PT + solar panels
$250 ea

Reolink Drive - $45

3TB WD Purple - $110
https://www.newegg.com/purple-wd30purz-3tb/p/N82E16822231534

Total - $1155

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
4x Reolink Go PT + solar panels
$250 ea

Reolink Drive - $45

3TB WD Purple - $110
https://www.newegg.com/purple-wd30purz-3tb/p/N82E16822231534

Total - $1155
Nice.. Have you played with the motion sensor ignore zones on the app ? And how is it ? Have you ran into any other app('s) that have that same feature with notifications to phone(ios) ?

USAFRet

Titan
Nice.. Have you played with the motion sensor ignore zones on the app ? And how is it ? Have you ran into any other app('s) that have that same feature with notifications to phone(ios) ?
With a PTZ camera, 'zones' are totally irrelevant and useless.

Lets say I were to block off the left 1/3 as "Ignore". If I were to pan around, that 1/3 is no longer looking at the same space.

Having had a LOT of cameras and applications, from cheap Webcam things to now awesome quality Reolink RLC-423...motion detection and notification outside is useless.

"Outside" is a chaotic environment.
Everything is moving, all the time.

Shadows from clouds, cats. a lady walking her dog, neighbors flag, tree limbs.
Car headlights passing by at night.
A spider spinning her web for 3 hours.

My cameras have a little icon in the lower left when they detect motion. An audio beep if desired.
Last night, the icon on both cameras (front and rear) was ON continuously, for several hours.

Why? It was raining.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
With a PTZ camera, 'zones' are totally irrelevant and useless.

Lets say I were to block off the left 1/3 as "Ignore". If I were to pan around, that 1/3 is no longer looking at the same space.

Having had a LOT of cameras and applications, from cheap Webcam things to now awesome quality Reolink RLC-423...motion detection and notification outside is useless.

"Outside" is a chaotic environment.
Everything is moving, all the time.

Shadows from clouds, cats. a lady walking her dog, neighbors flag, tree limbs.
Car headlights passing by at night.
A spider spinning her web for 3 hours.

My cameras have a little icon in the lower left when they detect motion. An audio beep if desired.
Last night, the icon on both cameras (front and rear) was ON continuously, for several hours.

Why? It was raining.
Ops.. sorry. I forgot to research thows cameras. My bad.

So I figer I'm going to mount a sky high camera for motion/zone restrictions and notifications. And have ground ones for clarity, recording 24/7 and manual panning . I hope it works.
So I'm left with some DIY battery and solar build. I might get lucky with one of there pre build battery solar kits for the sky cam.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Ops.. sorry. I forgot to research thows cameras. My bad.
So I figer I'm going to mount a sky high camera for motion/zone restrictions and notifications. And have ground ones for clarity, recording 24/7 and manual panning . I hope it works.
So I'm left with some DIY battery and solar build. I might get lucky with one of there pre build battery solar kits for the sky cam.
The "motion detection" thing is applicable to every outside camera.
All of them.

editor1

Honorable
May 9, 2017
The "motion detection" thing is applicable to every outside camera.
All of them.
I'm going to take your advice and not bother with it on the pan cam's on ground.

Any idea if I can have many cameras on the reolink app whiteout service fee's ? I only need live feed. I don't need more than sim card for recording. If not I guess I can us a 3rd party app for the ground pan cam's.