solomspd

Reputable
May 25, 2015
I've been trying to set up a TP-link TD-9970 in bridge mode so i can use it as a modem and have my Linksys wrt1900acs do the routing. However, I cant get it to work. On the TD-9970 I've tried having a single interface bridging the dsl connection with my ISP specific VPI and VCI. I've tried setting up a bridge interface with VLAN. I've tried having both interfaces on at the same time. nothing worked. The wrt1900acs is still unable to detect an internet connection.

Solution
In most cases when you do this you must run the second router with pppoe on its wan interface.

I guess it depends why you want the linksys router. Wifi you could just run it as a AP.

If you still can't get it to work you could just run route behind router and use the DMZ option in the tp-link. Other than not have the actual IP assigned to the wan port it should function the same as if the tplink was in bridge mode.
In most cases when you do this you must run the second router with pppoe on its wan interface.

I guess it depends why you want the linksys router. Wifi you could just run it as a AP.

If you still can't get it to work you could just run route behind router and use the DMZ option in the tp-link. Other than not have the actual IP assigned to the wan port it should function the same as if the tplink was in bridge mode.

Solution

solomspd

Reputable
May 25, 2015
I did set up pppoe on the linksys router with proper credentials but it didn't work.

I tried setting up DMZ but it requires me to enter the linksys router's local IP but it seems they both have the IP of 192.168.1.1. I have to physically connect to each one directly to see them on the network and see their admin panels. When I connect the two directly to each other, I cant see the other one on the network. I'm guessing theres something wrong going on here. Could you clue me in? should I change something in the TP-links DHCP server settings? I currently have it at default.

You can leave the dhcp on just set a static ip on the wan port the linksys. As long as the wan network is different from the lan network it should not complain.

The best test would be to assign the ip to a pc make sure the internet works correctly. Then assign the ip to the linksys wan and see if you can get it to work.

Latest posts