Seven AMD 785G-Based Motherboards Rounded Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpdski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Great article, I think this shows pretty conclusively that there is no benefit to upgrading to an AM3 based system. If you already have an AM2+ system, you can easily just drop in a new CPU and you system will be every bit as good as a brand new system with DDR3. You just need to make sure your motherboard supports the power requirements of whatever you want to drop in.

G

[citation][nom]jonpaul37[/nom]Hooray AMD for having cheap solutions in these hard-economic times!Boo @ Intel! i like the product, but my wallet & Girl do not like the cost![/citation]
+1
Girl has more money for clothes!

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Well bpdski there is no point upgrading if you're AM2, but if you're building a new PC AM3 is the way to go in terms of your computers longevity. Very informative article.

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
thanks alot for the info , my first choice was allways asus , but now i now what i need when im going to unlock core , and now i saw the benefits of sideport memory .

duzcizgi

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
We were successful in achieving a 900 MHz stable overclock with the integrated graphics chipset by setting the BIOS to increase northbridge voltage by +.210mV.
Well, .210 mV = 210 microvolt. I don't think it would make much of a change. Maybe it is 210 mV or, .210 V. :)

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
"Now we're seeing another benefit for the AM2+/DDR2 boards: both the Foxconn Cinema Premium and Biostar TA785GE 128M are drawing less power than their AM3/DDR3 counterparts."

How comes? Didn't we all agree a long time ago that ddr3 supposed to be more energy efficient out of the two? (Lower voltage and stuff?)

Ah nice line up and a good review. AMD has a better platform when factoring in cost and durability compared to Intel war I end up replacing the board after a few months to a year once the cpu power stage begins to degrade. Then there is performance on the I/O end and stable and steady stream to the cpu that is unaffected by other devices compared to FSB but on the cpu end need to be improved and same for INTEL.

haplo602

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
before reading the article ... THANK GOD errr... TOM's ... I have been waiting for a 785G mobo test since release ... all I got was crap load of P55 ...

haplo602

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
so after reading the article, nice work. I have the cheaper MSI 785GM-E51 in my build atm, but the E65 looks very solid and worth the cost.

msroadkill612

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Early adopters of usb 3.0 may wish to note that cards will probably be pcie x 4 (to cope with the bandwidth). Those extra slots may be good even w/o a neeed for crossfire.

msroadkill612

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Early adopters of usb 3.0 may wish to note that cards will probably be pcie x 4 (to cope with the bandwidth). Those extra pcie slots may be good even w/o a need for crossfire.

autoboy

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
"The irony is that Foxconn chose Realtek's ALC888 codec to drive the Cinema Premium instead of the ALC889, which has a better signal-to-noise ratio and can be found in the Gigabyte and MSI 785G boards in this roundup."

Actually, it makes perfect sense to use a subpar codec when the intention of the board is to use digital audio which will never touch the Realtek codec. When you use analog outputs, the benefits of DD live and DTS connect are worthless because whatever audio format the content is in will be decoded in surround sound and output over the analog outputs.

DD Live and DTS connect are simply transcoding AAC or game surround sound into Dolby Digital or DTS surround sound where it is passed as DD or DTS over the spdif or HDMI port, never touching the realtek codec making it's quality a non-issue. The purpose of the board is digital connections only and the codec was simply added because all boards need one.

DD Live and DTS connect are simply transcoding schemes for PC digital audio into a format that receivers can understand. If you think of it that way it is easy.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]dragoon190[/nom]+1 to Kohlhagen's question. It does state that the board is x16/x4 on Ausu's website, though...[/citation]

My apologies gentlemen, I had my head up my ass on this one. Indeed, both the ASUS and Gigabyte boards have 16x/4x PCIe slots. The ASRock board is the only one that can switch between one 16x slot or two 8x slots, making it the best CrossFire choice by far.

The article has been edited accordingly.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]wzx804[/nom] A so called "round-up" without this nice board I found on web is a JOKE. It is more like a round-up for their own advertising customers ONLY.[/citation]

Your comment is the joke. This is a US based publication and J&W does not offer products in the US.

Aside from that, there's no way you could reasonably round up every possible board from every possible manufacturer. The idea is to get a taste of what's out there, not cover every possible permutation.

Status
Not open for further replies.