Question Shades and flares of black in dark scenes with HDR on Philips 436M6VBPAB ?

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
I have Philips 436M6VBPAB 43inch 4K UHD LED Monitor that is HDR1000 Display Certified. I am having this problem when watching videos with HDR where in dark scenes black shades/flares appear and kind of flail on the screen. It gets almost impossible to see what's going on during dark / night scenes because of all these shades movement. I have played around with HDR settings but it doesn't make any difference. I am linking a short clip I recorded with my phone to point out. Hopefully it won't fall under "against copyright" BS since it's from a recently released movie.

Either I got unlucky with a defect monitor, or somehow I am not setting up HDR right? Video quality isn't the best but those shades/flares are still very noticeable and of course it gets worse during heavy movement & dark scenes like the last 20 mins of Jungle Cruise that I could barely make out anything on the screen. Can anyone help with this please ?

https://streamable.com/nxda0d

Thanks!

try a couple different sources of HDR video; Blu-Ray player, cable box, etc.
try a couple different video player applications; VLC, etc.
if this is a legally downloaded video; try re-downloading or from another host.
if pirated; probably just bad encoding and asking for help with these issues is against forum rules.

if all sources and files show the same issues than it would be a problem with the settings or the panel itself.

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
That was from HBOMAX. I have also had similar issues with Netflix and Amazon Prime videos. Haven't used my Blu Ray Drive for ages, didn't even bother connecting to Motherboard when upgraded last month. Do you think it is something to do with streaming quality? :unsure:

Just replayed Man of Steel on Nextflix (it has plenty of dark scenes right from the start) and Sonic the Hedghog on Amazon Prime. I can tell you those dark scenes looked MUCH better on my older 1440p monitor. 😒