Question Shadowplay freezing recording in source games

May 24, 2024
Hello,

I have this esoteric problem that's driving me crazy. While recording with shadowplay, if I open the chat box in TF2 or L4D2 the recording IMMEDIATELY skips some frames and freezes until the chatbox is closed. Video of the problem: https://pomf2.lain.la/f/jpimocbl.webm

The recording is 100% perfect and flawless with no skipped frames if I don't open the chat window. Every other game has zero issues whatsoever, it's only in these two source engine games that this problem occurs as soon as I press the chat button. This problem has persisted through a complete Windows format, complete driver and Geforce Experience reinstalls and through RAM upgrades. I have tried a combination of every setting Nvidia allows you access to and the problem doesn't budge. It doesn't matter if the game itself runs in windowed, fullscreen, borderless, if it runs in DX8 or DX9 or Vulkan. I have tried downgrading my gpu drivers and geforce experience. No dice.

I'm writing this post here because I'm at my wits' end after almost 3 years of trying to fix this. Somehow, this stupid little chatbox completely ruins my recordings and nobody in the wide internet has ever shared this problem. Does anyone here have any advice I could try?

My specs:
Intel i5-9600k (no oc)
Nvidia RTX 2060 (no oc)
32gb ddr5 ram
ASRock z390 pro4 (newest chipset drivers)

Last edited:
if I open the chat box in TF2 or L4D2 the recording IMMEDIATELY skips some frames and freezes until the chatbox is closed...almost 3 years of trying to fix this...Does anyone here have any advice I could try?
just stop using the feature when recording.
or use a better video capture software.

why do you want to record video of chats in-game?
and you really need 3 years worth of video of the same 2 games?

nvidia implemented a privacy thing some years ago which changed geforce experience into not recording the desktop as default due to privacy concerns (people with little knowledge mistakenly streaming private info and such) you have to manually enable it now before it will do it.
I can only guess that the chatbox triggers this safety.

May 24, 2024
nvidia implemented a privacy thing some years ago which changed geforce experience into not recording the desktop as default due to privacy concerns (people with little knowledge mistakenly streaming private info and such) you have to manually enable it now before it will do it.
I can only guess that the chatbox triggers this safety.
Desktop capture is already enabled. The problem persists.