Shall I Press The Order Button?

mihasya

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2004
after about 6 months of getting help from many of you(many thanks) I have been putting together my wish list and nervously looking at the purchase button moving my cart items to wish list then back to cart then back to wish list again. I told my wife that its time to spend some money on me so she cant be asking me to buy anything for her. Since I have never purchased hardware online before this will be my first time doing it. maybe you can give me some advice or reassurance about online Hardware stores. Currently I have been putting my purchase together on Newegg, I tried ZipZoomFly but they didnt have some of the harware items, so I stuck to Newegg.

The following are the Items im purchasing:

Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: WD740GD
$20.00 Mail-in Rebate $183.00

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #: LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultr $135.00

eVGA 256-P2-N537-AX Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card with Battlefield 2 full version - Retail
Model #: 256-P2-N537-AX $399.00

Emermax $88.99

2 x crucial 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model BL6464Z402 - Retail $143.78

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3200BPBOX - Retail
Model #: ADA3200BPBOX $190.00

NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3540A - OEM
Model #: ND-3540A Black $39.99
+ Free Combo
ROSEWILL RM800P Black 3 Buttons 1x Wheel PS/2 Optical Mouse - OEM
Model #: RM800P

Subtotal: $1,178.77
Tax: $85.46
Shipping: $32.62
Total: $1,282.85

I will be OCING this later on after I get better heatsink and fan, its too much money right now. Also I will purchase case localy since it costs too much for shipping and usualy people get it shipped damaged, anyways I will be paying taxes so extra 10 bucks locally will save me some nerves.

**did I miss anymore i's??**

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mihasya on 08/29/05 05:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

1. Dell has a dela on a rebadged Raptor. Check out bensbargains.net
2. <A HREF="http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=270402" target="_new">Enermax 535W Whisper II model EG565P</A> is $91.50 and no rebate to worry about.
3. For the price I would probably spend a few dollars more to get Crucial Ballistix (about $20) or the Patriot XBLK for ~$30 more. To save some money I would go for the OCZ Value VX.
4. Rest looks good. I still like the <A HREF="http://www.directron.com/directron/201tblk.html" target="_new">Super-Flower SF-201T</A> case that Rich recommends, but if you want to buy locally, then more power to you. Make sure it is good build quality and has good airflow.
5. The stock AMD HSF should be good for a moderate OC. Try it first and if you'r enot happy then upgrade the HSF...
Edit: Fixed link to Eneremax PSU.
<font color=red>You're a boil on the arse of progress - don't make me squeeze you!</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Rugger on 08/25/05 09:17 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

mihasya

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2004
1. bensbargains was only $10 less and no rebate, i want to keep it packaged together so i think its better to pay 10 bucks extra and take the chance on the rebate.

2. if rebate works then it will be worth $80 and a little more power. same Emermax on newegg is $88.99. ill take chance on rebate again :).

3.cant find it with 1gig (2 X 512) @ 184 pin, clicky?

4. thanks i will deffinetly take it.

5. i figured that would be the case that i would be able to OC a little with Stock HSF.

Thanks

The Crucial Ballistix does not come in a 2X512 kit. Just buy two of <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146546" target="_new">these</A>.

Godd luck with the build. Make sure you have a plan, have read the manuals and the FAQs before you start throwing the parts together and the build will go much smoother!

Huh

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
[flame]You are not blind. It is your reading comprehension that requires work. Read the last paragraph.[/flame]

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Wusy you are like a door-to-door salesman with that PSU, and you have never even tried it out. I hope it turns out to be a great PSU. All this promotion for it, I'm thinking about getting it for my next build just to see if it meets all the hype.

<b><font color=red>Go date P4man or something, bye!</font color=red><b>

mihasya

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2004
hmmm Its got 0 reviews @newegg. am I gonna be the first to buy it? lol I hope I aint a test subject here.

**forgot about the i's ;)**

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mihasya on 08/24/05 06:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Guinea pig would be a more appropriate term...

I've only seen a couple of reviews. The reviews were positive, but it didn't look like the PSU had been pushed hard...

Maybe hard enough for his rig. For an extra $12 he can get a known good Enermax 535W - that would be worth it in my books...

ZZF has the Enermax EG565P, previous link fixed, at $91.50 with free 2nd day shipping.

That <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817709003" target="_new">Sunbeam 550W</A> is $85.99 shipped.

So the Enermax is only $5.51 more than the Sunbeam...

mihasya

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2004
should I get the SLI mobo for futur when I can double the card to increase performance? or its not worth for the costs involved?
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mihasya on 08/25/05 09:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

I don't think that SLI is worth the cost. By the time you want to upgrade to the new card you could get a new gen card. IMO, SLI is OK when money is not a concern and you want/need to play at the highest possible resolutions with all the eye candy.

mihasya

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2004
maybe I should wait for labor day to see if any sales arrise or special deals with my selected parts... usually newegg does something like that on holidays or special days.. hehe maybe i should just Wait for Thanksgiving or NewYear for much better sales.... but then my stupid slow pc's cant play anything i will be board to death :( . Darn been waiting too long to get new pc, its begining to kill me.

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
ahck, no. the wait thing for a deal never works with computer parts

things come out too fast, and too soon, that by the time labour day comes around, sure, the things you want now will be cheaper slightly, but more likely there will be something newer you want thats even more expensive and you won't afford that then, and you'll decide to wait a little longer till THAT comes down in price... but in waiting, sure it comes down in price, but then something new comes out and it s more expensive, so you decide to wait for that to come down in price... and in doing that.. it does come down in price, but something newer comes out, and you want that, so you decide to wait till that comes down in price, and you do that... and it does come down in price, but something new is available that you want more, but it's more expensive, so you ahve to wait till that....

[-peep-] I coulda gone on forever before I realized how much I was typing..... you get my point.

don't upgrade for the future, upgrade for now now,

mihasya

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2004
this is bunch bs after just switching my items my shipping costs increased from $17.## to $32.## and it was the switch from Antec to the Sunbeam, also the crusial are double the transportation charge vs the 2X512 packaged together that i had previously and total didnt change at all. must be a conspiracy trying to trick the buyer thinking he getting deal when your not, seems like the cheaper you buy the more you pay in transportation charges.

G

Lol! after one or two I was like: All right I egt your point but I kept reading...

I tottaly agree with you. I like to set "dates" for my next upgrade and stick to it.

Since my computer is still performing really well, I think my next upgrade will come in around 1 year, when we have M2 and intel's new architechture...But I cetrainly wont wait for the price to come down like you just said.

All in all I think this 2.6c is the best CPU I ever bought, it will have lasted almost 4 years(if I stick to the date I just stated)of solid performance!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

mihasya

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2004
LOL... you got me hypnotized with that wording, its like virus infecting my brain cercuits. glad you stopped.

yehh I agree if I dont press the purchase button now who knows if I ever will. I will just be waisting time switching items back and forth from wishlist to cart and back again forever when I should be happy with what I could get now.

I might not save by much because I think the transportation charges are increasing because of rising gas prices or these bastards are just trying to rip me off on transportation.

mpasternak

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2005
noice.

my best CPU i've ever bought was the 3700+ i bought last week. this thing is the fastest, most robust CPU i've ever used. i've tweaked and test everything i could and it holds up great without temp worries. super [-peep-] fast and loads everyhting likity split.

I hope to use this thing for a few years now.

the worst CPU I've ever had is a tough one. I've had a couple.

intel P4 3.2e prescott. sucker ran too hot. around 50c idle. i ended up just getting it watercoolign for stock voltages. heated my room up to unbearable temperatures. couldnt get any overclocking out of it, and things just ran like poo on it. just too slow.

AMD 1.4ghz (before the XP). the CPU fan busted... and in my haste to do something i grabbed the damn chip causing 2nd degree burns to my hands. the thing was that fudging hot.

Intel 386 SX-33mhz. omg, this thing ran like ass (even at the time. couldnt get anything to run it was a disaster.

G

Glad to hear about your 3700+. I just cant justify myself the change of platform/cpu because frankly even if I know the A64 would be a nice upgrade Im happy with the performance of my PC. If I had to buy one computer it would be along those line but for now I just dont see a god enough money/perf increase!

Soon I might start playing and try to get my CPU at around 3.5, I know it does 3.4 no probs. Im just scared the mobo will go before the CPU, northbridge at 40c for one year now, cant be good, I should put some active cooling on it...

Anyhow when soemthing blow, it'll justify the AMD64 jump! :wink:

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0