Question Sharing peripherals between laptop and PC help.

JackHinton

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2016
I have a main PC which I use for gaming and personal stuff and I have a laptop which I use to work from home.
I want a way to switch between my PC and laptop at a press of a button so I can use my monitors, keyboard and mouse easily between both devices without having to use my laptop.
My PC is currently connected to my 2 monitors using 2 display port cables from my GPU and my keyboard and mouse are connected to my PC using wireless usb dongles.
My laptop only has one hdmi out port, but also has a USB C port which can be used to transmit video.
I am looking at KVM's and am struggling to find one that would support this setup, I am unsure as to which one will work, if any, for my setup.
I don't know if a KVM can switch the single hdmi in from my laptop to 2 display port out cables for my monitors or maybe I use the hdmi coming in and use 2 extra hdmi cables to connect to my monitors so that when the laptop is being used then the hdmi is being used and then when switched to my PC then the display port cables are used?
I am looking for some advice on how to get this configuration to work, note that I am aware that there are software options for this, however my work laptop has no admin permissions to install this kind of software so unless software exists that doesn't require admin permissions then this isn't an option.
I hope what I just explained makes sense, but please ask any questions to to clear up anything.
Thanks in advance!

JackHinton

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2016
You might want to mention the make and models of your panels and your laptop, so we can understand what sort of ports you need from said KVM suggestion.

https://www.tesmart.com/collections/dual-monitor
is one suggestion.
Hi,
My laptop is a HP ProBook 450 G8 and my two monitors are an Acer XF240H and Asus VG259QM.
Hope this helps to narrow down my options. I'll checkout that website you suggested also.
Thanks