Ship a PC with cooler installed?

sgt bombulous

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
This is pretty simple... Do you guys think it'd be a bad idea to ship a PC from TX to NY with a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ installed? It's sort of big, so I'm curious if anyone thinks it could possibly cause damage to the motherboard.

As long s it is properly mounted, it shouls be fine. I would probably put some foam or something soft around it just to make sure but otherwuise it will be fine.

How do you think OEMs like Alienware ship their PCs when they dd big heatsinks? They are attatched.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
I know for a fact cyberpowerpc puts a crap load of foam piece or whatever they're called in the PC case when they send u the computer you ordered. Everything was fine and dandy and it got ship on UPS ground so lets just say... it got roughed up.

If you are transporting the system yourself, just lay the computer on its side - and avoid large bumps :).

If you are going to ship the system, in your place, I would remove the cooler and ship it separately. And yes, I realize that if your motherboard tray does not have a cutout behind the CPU socket, removing the cooler will be a PITA.

Been there done that .... I was too tied up at work, outta town a lot and with XMas coming decided to have a custom builder build a box for one of the kids to my specs rather than self build. FedEx would not deliver (snow) so had to pick up at local FedEx depot. When counter dude lifted up box and placed on counter it "made noises". Inspection revealed cooler (much smaller / lighter than the 212) has snapped off, damaging MoBo......was shipped back to builder, was rebuilt and then shipped with cooler separately.

When asked the question since then my answer is "It depends"..... It depends on how heavy they cooler is, who is shipping it, how it is packed, how box is labeled.

I have done it once since....I packed it, took off fans, and used wires to tie off the cooler corners furthest from the MoBo using the little holes in the heat sink for the fan clips, tying them off to the little holes in the case frame where the side window runs on. Soft, compressible foam was as a secondary measure, THIS SIDE UP / DELICATE ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENTS was written on the box and it was insured for full replacement costs.

When I'm helping someone move, the PC goes on the back seat of the car, properly packed, MoBo side down......kids go in the trunk :)