Shocking: Did the W3C Sell Out to Microsoft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Shenanigans! To the test and your article! So much hoopla over what? Browsers that aren't production releases... Pointing out the obvious... No test is valid until it's tested with what everyone will get... not just "beta" or "developer" versions.

Isn't there a Apple product you could be covering?

vant

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Anyone with half a brain would realize testing unreleased products vs released products (when their beta release is available) is unfair.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Standards lol takes 10 years for something to even reach the level of close to becoming a standard.

It would take someone with alot of time on their hands just to sort though their test suite which could have been somewhat automated imo, i just think there are a bunch of lazy people at W3C

de_com

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Guys, your missing the point. The W3C is one of the most respected benchmarks there is. If they can't be seen to be objective and above reproach then what's the point. True, they made a dogs dinner of this one and even changed results when queried on their validity without giving any explanations at all, bad form.
We need more whistle blowing of this type to keep the testers and such on their toes, they need to know they can't and wont get away with passing off biased results, even if they're useless (Beta and Developer Versions) after all.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Inconsistent data sources used to state a finding as fact then shortly followed by a small print retraction posted after the fact...

Yep, this test is about as unbiased as Fox News and CNN are completely fair and balanced.

rallende

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
It's about time a Tom's Hardware reporter actually did thier own investigative journaling rather than site another site's data. You sir, have my support. But can you really test stable browers against beta browsers and still have accurate numbers? Shouldn't the test have benn done amongst all beta or alpha browsers?

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]wackyphill[/nom]Wow, you spend this much time trying to discredit a favorable IE standards conformance report you don;t like from the W3C?Find something better to waste time on.[/citation]

Read the article. Derp.

Thanks, wolf. I don't know if this could be called "whistle-blowing" but everyone with half a mind for technology or science should appreciate the downfall of anyone falsifying data.

exodite

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
Very nice article, thank you.

This is the kind of eagle-eye insight the entire online community can benefit from, hopefully preempting some of the FUD going around.

Albyint

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]wackyphill[/nom]Wow, you spend this much time trying to discredit a favorable IE standards conformance report you don;t like from the W3C?Find something better to waste time on.[/citation]

Like writing a news article on some software tests that could have been falsified from a supposed independent third party? Possibly an organization supposed to give you accurate numbers so an uninformed person can make a wiser choice?

Oh wait..................

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
It wouldn't be surprising if Microsoft was still up to foul play. They've got a long history of doing literally whatever it takes to make money. Having said that, it's far more disappointing to see an author (Wolfgang Gruener) publicly bash THG's own customers (us) for pointing out foul play in your own reviews when necessary.

I'd say this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

awaken688

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
Great find. Great article. Original piece. I have to say this is nice to read versus a list of articles that I read last week when they first were printed/announced on other sites.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Sometimes I ask myself why I continue to do web development. Why do we have some many companies trying to invent the same wheel... for the love of God, just follow the standard and make the rendering engines open source. Enough with flaky support for something that is suppose to be a standard. Arg!!!

wolfganggruener

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
kelemvor4, you may want to ready the article again. I actually compliment you guys as keeping us writers on our toes. I call this a case of not reading the article.

G

Well written article on a quality topic. Like to see more of this on Tom's. GJ.

soundping

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]Falsified test results are one of the most vile things in the world of science and computing. Kill the W3C![/citation]
Agreed.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I swear when I looked at those results yesterday evening they had Opera 11 alpha results. Maybe I was looking at the wrong section?

Anyway, many testing suites suffer this same fate. Didn't someone modify the CPU_ID on a VIA processor and get better results in PCMARK just by claiming to be an Intel processor instead of a VIA? Its the same reason no one uses Whetstone or Dhrystone anymore because people are just optimizing their products for the tests? In fact, isn't that a problem with Sunspider?

Status
Not open for further replies.