[SOLVED] Should I be worried about my CPU reaching 78 degrees Celsius under maximum load?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2019
Should i disable the clock boost on my cpu?
Specs:
CPU:i5-7600K 3.8 Ghz (boost 4.2)
CPU Cooler: Non-stock 2500 RPM
GPU:Radeon RX 470
RAM: Kingston DDR4 3000 8GB
HDD:1tb
SSD:M.2 Samsung 970 EVO
MB:Gigabyte z270-d3
PSU:800/850 watt

Solution
Thank you for the additional information. No, you do not need to disable Turbo Boost, since 78°C is not excessively high.

Once again, here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures above 85°C are not recommended.

Core temperatures below 80°C are ideal.

Although gaming generally averages around 55°C, it can range from 40 to 70°C or higher, depending on how a particular game title allocates CPU / GPU workloads, as well as differences in overall cooling performance and ambient temperature.

Since your...

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Hard to say... My new 3900X ran up to 95-100 degrees under load with stock air cooler. Bought a Corsair H115i and it dropped to 85 degrees, still smoking... My old i7-6700K was 80 degrees with a air cooler.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
jovicajova,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

There's a lot of variables involved in processor temperatures, so when discussing this topic we need to be very specific.

Please define "maximum load".

Most users have their own ideas about what "maximum load" of "full load" might be, but we need to keep in mind that Intel has their own definition, which is a steady 100% TDP workload with steady Core temperatures.

Although "Throttle" temperature (Tj Max) for the i5-7600K is 100°C, it’s not advisable to run a CPU near it's thermal limit. The consensus among well informed and highly experienced system builders, reviewers and overclockers, is that cooler is better for ultimate stability, performance and longevity. Experts all agree that it's prudent to observe a reasonable thermal margin below Throttle temperature. so here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures increase and decrease with ambient (room) temperature. The "standard" for normal room temperature is 22°C or 72°F. Ambient temperature is used as a reference value for Intel's thermal specifications, so it's important to know.

We have Members who write in to our Forums that live anywhere from the Arctic Circle to the Equator without A/C, so ambient indoor temperature might be anywhere from 10°C (50°F) to 40°C (104°F), which can be a HUGE variable. We always need to know ambient temperature so no one proceeds on false assumptions or jumps to the wrong conclusions.

What is your ambient temperature?

We have a Guide for this topic. It's a "Sticky" at the top of the CPUs Forum, which is where you posted your question. If you take a look up there you can't miss it. There's a link to it in my signature.

Once again, welcome aboard!

CT :sol:

Aug 24, 2019
jovicajova,

On behalf of Tom's Moderator Team, welcome aboard!

There's a lot of variables involved in processor temperatures, so when discussing this topic we need to be very specific.

Please define "maximum load".

Most users have their own ideas about what "maximum load" of "full load" might be, but we need to keep in mind that Intel has their own definition, which is a steady 100% TDP workload with steady Core temperatures.

Although "Throttle" temperature (Tj Max) for the i5-7600K is 100°C, it’s not advisable to run a CPU near it's thermal limit. The consensus among well informed and highly experienced system builders, reviewers and overclockers, is that cooler is better for ultimate stability, performance and longevity. Experts all agree that it's prudent to observe a reasonable thermal margin below Throttle temperature. so here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Core temperatures increase and decrease with ambient (room) temperature. The "standard" for normal room temperature is 22°C or 72°F. Ambient temperature is used as a reference value for Intel's thermal specifications, so it's important to know.

We have Members who write in to our Forums that live anywhere from the Arctic Circle to the Equator without A/C, so ambient indoor temperature might be anywhere from 10°C (50°F) to 40°C (104°F), which can be a HUGE variable. We always need to know ambient temperature so no one proceeds on false assumptions or jumps to the wrong conclusions.

What is your ambient temperature?

We have a Guide for this topic. It's a "Sticky" at the top of the CPUs Forum, which is where you posted your question. If you take a look up there you can't miss it. There's a link to it in my signature.

Once again, welcome aboard!

I don't have any air conditioner in my room, i assume the temperature in here is 33-37 degrees Celsius.

And about defining Max Load,It's about my CPU staying at 100% usage when i play for example Metro Exodus at High for about 20-25 minutes,I Alt-Tab-ed out of the game into MSI Afterburner,and saw CPU temperature sitting at 74 and Max being 78. the results were similar when i ran Cinnebench R15(like 1-2 degrees lower)

Last edited:

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Thank you for the additional information. No, you do not need to disable Turbo Boost, since 78°C is not excessively high.

Once again, here's the nominal operating range for Core temperature:

Although gaming generally averages around 55°C, it can range from 40 to 70°C or higher, depending on how a particular game title allocates CPU / GPU workloads, as well as differences in overall cooling performance and ambient temperature.

Since your ambient temperature at 33 to 37°C is way above normal by 10 to 15°C, this explains why your gaming temperature is abnormally high.

However, if the heaviest workloads you ever run on your rig are your games, then you're still OK, provided you don't run stress tests or extremely heavy workloads such as for rendering or transcoding, which will cause your Core temperatures to climb much higher.

Reactions: PC Tailor
Solution
Aug 24, 2019
Alright thanks for the info,really appreciated it,also i do not run any kind of stress test,except today to test the temperature with Cinnebench R15.Once again thanks for helping me out!

Status
Not open for further replies.