Question Should I Build A New System

kenclaw

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016
Background

I built my system in 2007, yes it is 12 years old. Along the way I have updated some components. Here are the current specs:

Type: X64 based
CPU: Intel Xeon X5675 6 Cores OC at 4.0 GHz 32nm Core Voltage 1.288 Westmere-EP Max TDP 95.0 W
Motherboard: Asus P6X58D Premium (1366 LGA Socket)
Memory: 24 GB DDR3 DRAM Frequency 800 MHz NB Frequency 2100.1 Channel Triple
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1070 CUDA Cores: 1920 Graphics Clock: 1632 MHz 8192 MB GDDR5
Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD Writer
Sound (Audio Interface – Focuswrite 18i20)
Storage: C: Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, D: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, F: Western Digital WDW WD1002FAEX 1TB
My ISP is fiber-optic at 250 Mbs up and down.
Case: Cooler Master Full Tower

I primarily use my computer for audio production (DAW, Virtual Instruments, etc...), some video editing, and quite a bit of graphic work. This system runs all of my programs efficiently and fast with no hiccups/problems. I do play some games on it, but mostly flight simulators, but occasionally some games on Steam. Have no problems with high and ultra-high settings in most games. It is on 24/7, only time it is ever off is when a Windows update requires restarting. So I guess running 12 years straight with the power on is saying something.

It does have two USB 3.0 hubs in the rear of the motherboard, although the full speed of USB 3.0 can not be achieved on this motherboard, but at the time Asus was forward looking and implemented USB 3 as best as it could. Neither can the full speed of the SSD's be realized. Still the system overall is fast.

Question/Opinion

So this brings me to my question. I am thinking about building a new system. Perhaps an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X based system. Looking at the components based on what I think would make a good build, I'm probably looking at the $1500 range. My question, is there really going to be great leaps and gains over what I currently have? I know the SSD speed and USB 3 speed would be much greater, but is it great enough to justify $1500? Just curious as to your thoughts/opinions, would you spring for a new system or just wait till the current one dies?

WildCard999

Titan
I primarily use my computer for audio production (DAW, Virtual Instruments, etc...), some video editing, and quite a bit of graphic work. This system runs all of my programs efficiently and fast with no hiccups/problems. I do play some games on it, but mostly flight simulators, but occasionally some games on Steam. Have no problems with high and ultra-high settings in most games. It is on 24/7, only time it is ever off is when a Windows update requires restarting. So I guess running 12 years straight with the power on is saying something.

I wouldn't bother upgrading the system as it does everything you need to it do effectively.

However if you do have money that's burning a hole in your pocket then maybe consider monitor upgrades (multi monitor for the flight sims) or even going with a VR headset. I tried DCS with a Oculus and it was a fun experience.

With the CPU overclock it should be able to handle VR but I would double check it.

Last edited:
Reactions: kenclaw

kenclaw

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016
Reactions: WildCard999

WildCard999

Titan
@WildCard999 I have a few monitors but only use one at a time because of the massive amount of audio equipment I have on my 4' X 8' desk. Anyway, just for the fun of it I did log into Steam and downloaded and ran the SteamVR Peformance Test. Here are the results:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uCV5O3JwWIQnw2JNLYvVTmQ3cJoCJks0/view?usp=sharing

I may actual consider VR.
It's fun, I had to sell mine at the time due to financial issues however I want to get back into it and there's improved systems over the original Oculus Touch & HTC Vive. The newer versions don't require sensors which is a fantastic improvement (calibrating the sensors for Oculus was annoying). Plus they've improved the material so the headsets are more comfortable.

kenclaw

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016
I will most certainly look into it.

I wanted to see how my system stacked up against modern systems on the SteamVR test and I was shocked that my system preformed so well compared to others, from a forum with 200 pages of posted results. The highest score obtainable is 11. I had a score of 10.9.

kenclaw

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016
That was so easy to achieve, hit 4.0 on my first try and it's ran that way ever since. I've read about people pushing the X5675 all the way to 5.0. 4.0 is plenty fast enough for me plus I only use air cooling. I'm just worried about longevity of the system, I mean 12 years in computer age is pretty old. So that is why I was entertaining the idea of building a new system. But who knows, maybe I have a vampire PC and as long as nobody daggers it, it will just keep on going! LOL

WildCard999

Titan
That was so easy to achieve, hit 4.0 on my first try and it's ran that way ever since. I've read about people pushing the X5675 all the way to 5.0. 4.0 is plenty fast enough for me plus I only use air cooling. I'm just worried about longevity of the system, I mean 12 years in computer age is pretty old. So that is why I was entertaining the idea of building a new system. But who knows, maybe I have a vampire PC and as long as nobody daggers it, it will just keep on going! LOL
I saw on Userbenchmark and it showed some @4.6ghz which was impressive.

If you get bored though maybe try to push it a bit further?

kenclaw

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016
I searched to find the validation for the X5675 at 5 GHz but did not find it. That was many years ago when I read about it and saw the graphics/validation. I did see lots of 4.6 and a few 4.7. Only Xeon validation I found at 5 was Xeon X5660.

https://valid.x86.fr/cnyxu8

The Xeon X56.. were killer CPU and the original MSRP on them was $1443. You can still pick one up new for around $70.

Reactions: WildCard999

kenclaw

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016
AllanGH, The chips are fairly easy to find, new and used. I bought my new and if I remember correctly I paid $80 for it. However, what is not so easy to find is a 1366 LGA Socket board and there were very few boards that the Xeon X56XX would work on. My board, ASUS P6X58D Premium was one of the boards that the Xeon would work on. But if you do get one, let me know how it goes!