[SOLVED] Should i buy a motherboard that doesn't have a VRM heatsink

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
I'm planning to buy this motherboard msi h510m-a pro and i wanted put an I3 10th gen in it but this motherboard doesn't have a VRM heatsink, I'm not planning on overclocking it or anything but i want to know if this will effect the health and lifespan of this motherboard and it would be helpful if someone explained more about VRM's to me.

Solution
If that's all you can afford or get, and you're not throwing something more powerful than an ~65W processor, then I don't see a problem with it. You can always jury rig a heat sink on it later.
I would say that's fine for an i3.

To answer in any more detail would require additional info from you:
  • What country are you shopping in?
  • What's your budget?
    • What's the rest of the build? Are there any other components we could re-allocate funds from, etc.
    • Are there any mobo alternatives in the same price range, etc

All motherboards fail sooner or later.

When yours fails, you'd have to speculate that a heatsink would have extended the life. How would you know?

I can't recall ever seeing a serious study on the issue.

But I'd certainly insist on a heatsink if you will be worried about it, even though it may have nothing to do with a failure.

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
I would say that's fine for an i3.

To answer in any more detail would require additional info from you:
  • What country are you shopping in?
  • What's your budget?
    • What's the rest of the build? Are there any other components we could re-allocate funds from, etc.
    • Are there any mobo alternatives in the same price range, etc
Well i wanted get a ryzen 3 3200g but that processor is overpriced in India and the board i wanted to buy for the ryzen had a heatsink in VRM but i can't find an Intel motherboard with VRM heatsinks so that's why i asked this question.