Should I buy a next gen console or upgrade my current PC so i can game on it instead?

dragonwolf8504

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2012
IF you don't know anyone that can help or you can't do it yourself:

Chances are your probably better off with buying a next-gen console. I am a computer gamer, but with that current computer you would need to buy a decent dedicated gpu. Considering what your wanting to play and at half-way decent settings with no drop in fps and also assuming your playing at 1080p. After the cost of the upgraded parts and installation fees your probably looking at spending more than on a next-gen console. Primarily due to the installation fees.

IF you know someone who can upgrade the machine or you can do it yourself:

I would go with an Nvidia GTX 760 for a little future-proofing. Granted it's not the most powerful gpu it's a good mix. I am not a fanboy, but prefer Nvidia for their driver support and the fact that most of my games seem to like Nvidia better. *shrugs* That shouldn't cost you anymore than about $270-$300 TOPS after any shipping charges. Kudos on finding it cheaper if you do. (I currently own an AMD R9 270 Overclocked and it does decent, but I really wish I had bought a GTX 760 or GTX 770.
For a psu and working off a few assumptions, I would say a good 500W would be ok, but pushing it on if you wanted to upgrade down the road again. I would go with a decent 600W PSU. Make sure it has 2x 6/8 pin pci-e power connectors though. Seasonic, the higher end Corsair would do good.

Quoted from another forum, but can't find it this is a copy/paste from my notes:
"CX is the budget series (non-modular, 80+). TX is mid-range (non-modular, mostly 80+ bronze). HX is their professional line (modular, 80+ silver mostly). The AX is the top of the line (fully modular, 80+ gold). There is also a GS line which is gamer series which have LEDs and are not modular."

I have a CX600M that seems to be running my AMD build ok (AMD FX-6300 stock clocks, 16GB Ram, 2x HDD's, AMD R9 270 Factory-OC, about 30W's worth of fans. It cost me about $70 with prime shipping.

Here I found a suggestion:
PSU: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ALYOPSS/ref=oh_details_o04_s01_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GPU: http://www.amazon.com/GTX760-DC2OC-2GD5-GeForce-256-bit-PCI-Express-OC-selected/dp/B00DBPKEOI/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1403443296&sr=1-2&keywords=gtx+760

You would also need to watch the size of the gpu as your case may be too small. I picked the smallest GTX 760 I could find. This was based all off of what I game at and what your wanting to do. I'm currently looking to 'upgrade' my gpu to an Nvidia equal or better than my R9, so yeah.

Dayz would be able to play on Ultra with that gpu and cpu combo. It would cost about $330 if you have Prime. May have to tack on shipping charges, but that is a lot less than a next-gen console.

Your cpu should do good for awhile and ram is a cheap upgrade down the road, but with 8GB already your pretty will set. Though if you do a lot of multi-tasking I would look into having 16GB of ram. (I constantly have about 10 tabs open in chrome and other things running and would get close to maxing my 8 GB of ram, so I upgraded to 16GB of ram.)

Predicted: you should be able to play the new Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare coming out in November on "High" or maybe even "Ultra" but that might push it. Still it's not a bad upgrade for something projected to come out in about 5 months.

Hope this helps.

Note: this is only my suggestion and not a promise that things will run smoothly in 2 years.

Cube_of_Rubik

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
I would recommend the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti graphics card. According to this video from TheSuperUberGOLDFISH, the least frames you'll get in Call of Duty: Ghosts running at ultra settings at 1920 x 1080 resolution is 36. The reason why this card went as low as 36 FPS is because the games is badly optimized. According to this video from the same person, in the description, he states that this card will run DayZ, another badly optimized game, on normal settings with decent FPS.

Trainedmucisian

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014

Well I build my gaming pc a few weeks ago and I'm still saving for a graphics card but I can run games like watch dogs on my onboard gpu. It are not the best graphics but it is not that bad

Icaraeus

Honorable
To get a PC roughly equivalent in graphics performance, not better, you'll need to spend at least US$800. The advantage of the PS4 is that anything you buy for it will work perfectly, whereas you'll need to upgrade your PC every couple of years.

Its more like $600

Icaraeus

Honorable
No, it isn't. Compare the early PS3 games to the ones that came out recently - huge difference. If you bought a GPU capable of the games of the early PS3 lifetime it would not handle the games that are coming out now for PS3.

You cant compare a PS3 to a PS4 at all.. Look at this build:http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Wq2D7P
That is basically what the ps4 is. You cant really look at the CPU though because there arent really comparable CPU's to the PS4's. I even added a blu ray which the PS4 has and a sea sonic PSU. If I simply put in a CX PSU this build would be on par maybe even better than the PS4 for $600. But below $600 you cant really touch the PS4.

slimonster

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2011
okay heres a bit of a wake up call you dont need a 600 buck gpu to be comparable to a ps4 lol a 180 buck r9 270 or 220bucks r9 280x will run circles around the ps4 get a r9 280 an a decent 600 watt psu can be done for around 300 bucks for both if ordered online with free shipping