Question Should I buy a separate VGA cooler from Amazon for broken RTX 3070 GPU

MutualBenefits

Reputable
Dec 31, 2019
Got a question; I have a damaged Asus Strix RTX 3070 with 2 out 3 malfunctioning fans, high GPU voltage at 668w and missing cooler shroud previously purchased via 2nd hand from Craigslist. Because this card work’s for just regular computer work, I don’t want to throw away the card do you think a separate GPU cooler plus replacing the Strix fans be a good idea?

Would something like this from amazon work?
https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-VGA...=1672166758&sprefix=vga+cooler,aps,134&sr=8-5

00t0t_gTauNJdq42Lz_0oo0ww_600x450.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
The GPU that was tampered with by pervious owner on craigslist that lied to me when I brought it from him. Though it has a warranty until 2024 (Called Asus), if it can’t be RMA how much you think repairs will cost?

about 65 bucks for new original shrould + fans, see links above :) all you need is a screwdriver, nothing complicated in replacing it, although you may want to check card had a valid firmware and if not reflash it original one :)

Bazzy 505

Respectable
Jul 17, 2021
Is there any on Ebay links to get the shroud faster

Before doing anything else, i would check if the card has a valid firmware on it, chances are you're looking at a mining GPU. some miners remove those shrounds to pack more cards in same space. So might as well make sure you're not throwing any more good money after bad money you already spent on it.

MutualBenefits

Reputable
Dec 31, 2019
Before doing anything else, i would check if the card has a valid firmware on it, chances are you're looking at a mining GPU. some miners remove those shrounds to pack more cards in same space. So might as well make sure you're not throwing any more good money after bad money you already spent on it.

Bios is valid, the person who I brought it from likely pulled it apart caused it did have a shroud that was broken

I’m thinking that getting new fan’s, shroud a separate Amazon GPU cooler might be best idea since Asus might charge me $300 or more to fix it right.

MutualBenefits

Reputable
Dec 31, 2019
So which is it?
Broken plastic, or all that other stuff as well?

Again, Sorry for the misunderstanding I'm trying not to throw this card away

The pervious owner I brought this card from on Craigslist stated that the card issue was it couldn’t game at 4K.. Once I brought it come to find out it seems he tampered with it and pulled it apart, scamming me causing a $500 loss. Issues are as follows, original shroud was broken (unusable, had to throw away) when I got it that I got to replace (backplate is fine), GPU Voltage is extremely high @ 668w (killed my 850w psu when I got it, upgrading to a 1200w psu), 2 out 3 fans don’t function if I try to game on it one fans spins intensely causing signal loss.