Question Should I cap fps on asus VG248QE?

Apr 28, 2019
Hello everyone!
This is my first post on the forum!I recently built my first gaming PC, and my monitor choice fell on the Asus VG248QE 144hz monitor. I am gonna be playing a lot of online games (Fortnite mainly, but also CS:GO and Battlefield V). Since I got a RTX 2060, I'll get very high fps on Fortnite on low settings (+240 probably). I am not sure if my monitor has V-sync or G-sync (I think not, but correct me if I'm wrong). That said, I have heare people saying that you should cap your fps in-game (and some instead saying you should leave it unlimited). Other people even say you should:
  1. Cap your fps in game to 142 (slightly less than 144)
  2. Cap them to exactly 144 since it's pointless to go higher because my monitor is 144
  3. Cap them to like 160 to "reduce input lag" while at the same time avoid "overloading the GPU".
Who is right and who isn't, and why?
Also, does the fact that my monitor does not have any sync at all change something? Thank you!

LewisMann

Honorable
Mar 2, 2019
The reason for why people are saying cap your fps at 142 is because it eliminates screen tearing, just in case. SypherPK caps his framerate at 237 to do this. As for your inquiry, the VG248QE is a great monitor and I am looking to get it soon also. I would recommend capping it at either 142/144 or 165. For Fortnite, just above 120 fps looks very smooth and comparing the likes of 150fps to 240fps, I don't really see that much of a difference and believe that above 100 is perfect, I mean the higher the better, but I think that you won't need anything higher than what I said to cap it at, as this can start ghosting on your screen (screen tearing).The RTX 2060 will easily hit 160fps in game if your own low settings.