Should I Do it? or Should I Wait?

lunky545

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2006
What's up fellas, just wanted to thank you in advance for your suggestions

Heres the skinny, within the next few months I plan to purchase the Dell UltraSharp 2407 24" LCD as well as a new computer. However, my perdicament is choosing a graphics card that can run this monster at its native (1920 X 1200) as well as handle games for the next two/three years. Now originnaly I planned to wait until the DirectX 10 hardware comes out to run with Vista on my new system, however this deal caught my eye.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127205&CMP=AFC-TechBargains
(Currently In Stock)

If this card goes out of stock I will either get a X1900 XT or the X1950 XTX (when it becomes more widely avaliable) at a later date closer to Vista launch.

I would love to wait for DirectX 10 hardware and buy the best I can afford, however I think the Best of this generation might offer better performance than the median of the next generation. (Stuffs expensive at launch) Plus all the other parts needed to be bought with my new computer eats into my budget.

So what do you say? Should I get this card and put it aside until I have all my parts to build my new computer or wait for the new hardware?

blade47

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
buy a Radeon x1900 XT .
i would choose the X1900XT over the X1900XTX as the low peformance gains do not warrant a purchase of the costlier X1900XTX.
Buy a DirectX10 card once they come out.

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Yeah I would definately recommend waiting to buy a DirectX 10 card as well, they arent too far off with Vista just around the corner after X-mas.
Also I have a feeling either Nvidia or ATI is going to release a Multicore GPU here soon, and if I had to bet on it I would say that ATI will beat Nvidia to the punch considering they were recently aquired by AMD, so be watching, both of these companies are going to be tight lipped about it, but if we are lucky we might get some leaked info on it here soon.

late