Question Should I get a new psu?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shektron

Estimable
The one you have is of good quality, the only reason you'd need a different unit now is if you buy a video card that requires 2 additional power connectors. Stick to the 1060 6 GB, it's your best bet here, or the RX 480 if you can test it before buying(and make sure it only needs one power connector). As mentioned, the GTX 970 is not an option with this PSU.

hephaistos

Prominent
Feb 23, 2018
The one you have is of good quality, the only reason you'd need a different unit now is if you buy a video card that requires 2 additional power connectors. Stick to the 1060 6 GB, it's your best bet here, or the RX 480 if you can test it before buying(and make sure it only needs one power connector). As mentioned, the GTX 970 is not an option with this PSU.
What if I use a molex to 8 pin? And are buying used amd cards safe?

Shektron

Estimable
What if I use a molex to 8 pin? And are buying used amd cards safe?
It's not a great option, using a molex to 6-pin or 8-pin(usually it's 6-pin from 2 molex connectors). It;s usually not recommended for cards that may draw higher amounts of power from the PCI-E connector, because molex connectors are not very reliable in terms of continuous high power draw. Still, if there's no other option and the power draw from the connector is not too high, you can use molex to 6-pin.

Buying any used GPU is safe only as long as the card you are buying can be tested and you can make sure it is not defective and is working at full potential. A simple stress test and/or run of a UserBenchmark test can confirm that for you.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS