[SOLVED] Should i get a new PSU

Jun 10, 2020
Hey guys i got a new pc and been working with it for around 4-5 months and didnt experience any problems yet, but a while ago my friends GPU died and the service guy told him it's because of a bad PSU. SO i just wanted to ask if my pc will be fine or should i invest in a new PSU.

i7 4790 3.6 GHz not overclocked and no intention of being
GTX 1060 6gb, same as the CPU not overclocked
8GB DDR3 RAM
TX3 EVO cooler
1x case fan
PSU - FPS 350-60HHN(85)

it seems to me that my psu sticks out as being the worst in the pc, am i running a risk with this PSU, should i change it? Any info is appreciated, thanks

Solution
The EVGA Bronze-rated PSUs aren't particularly good. EVGA's only worth buying at the mid-high-end and not at the same level that they were when they had a relationship with Super Flower, pre-pandemic, for their better PSUs.

In the budget area, a Corsair CX is typically the least expensive PSU worth buying. I'd get a Corsair CX 450 before anything from EVGA that's Bronze/White/Unrated (typically cheaply made hec PSUs), but I'd be more comfortable with a 550W.

The concerning thing is that FSP is playing unusually fast and loose for them by calling this a 350W PSU. It's "peak" 350W, which is power supply for "yeah, this PSU is terrible," and it's more often seeing by the garbage peddlers. People are looking for the continuous power...

overRev26

Reputable
Apr 6, 2017
Hey guys i got a new pc and been working with it for around 4-5 months and didnt experience any problems yet, but a while ago my friends GPU died and the service guy told him it's because of a bad PSU. SO i just wanted to ask if my pc will be fine or should i invest in a new PSU.

i7 4790 3.6 GHz not overclocked and no intention of being
GTX 1060 6gb, same as the CPU not overclocked
8GB DDR3 RAM
TX3 EVO cooler
1x case fan
PSU - FPS 350-60HHN(85)

it seems to me that my psu sticks out as being the worst in the pc, am i running a risk with this PSU, should i change it? Any info is appreciated, thanks
I would suggest you to buy a new power supply with atleast 80+ Bronze efficiency psu from a reputable Brand.
And yes the psu sticks out as worst, lol.

Reactions: Kompiraca

DSzymborski

Titan
The EVGA Bronze-rated PSUs aren't particularly good. EVGA's only worth buying at the mid-high-end and not at the same level that they were when they had a relationship with Super Flower, pre-pandemic, for their better PSUs.

In the budget area, a Corsair CX is typically the least expensive PSU worth buying. I'd get a Corsair CX 450 before anything from EVGA that's Bronze/White/Unrated (typically cheaply made hec PSUs), but I'd be more comfortable with a 550W.

The concerning thing is that FSP is playing unusually fast and loose for them by calling this a 350W PSU. It's "peak" 350W, which is power supply for "yeah, this PSU is terrible," and it's more often seeing by the garbage peddlers. People are looking for the continuous power, which is only 300W and that's just 288W on the +12V rail. A GPU that can hit 200W and a CPU that can hit 100W makes me feel very uncomfortable. Luckily, FSP doesn't generally make pure trash and there's more wiggle room than some weird GamerSuperPowerTek 550W GamerNitro you buy for $19 on a Chinese website, that's just way too close for comfort. You could give me a SeaSonic Platinum-rated 280W PSU made of solid platinum and I wouldn't run this PC on that.

(Plus, platinum goes for like $800 an ounce so it would be way more profitable to sell that PSU anyway!)

Reactions: Kompiraca
Solution
Jun 10, 2020

The concerning thing is that FSP is playing unusually fast and loose for them by calling this a 350W PSU. It's "peak" 350W, which is power supply for "yeah, this PSU is terrible," and it's more often seeing by the garbage peddlers. People are looking for the continuous power, which is only 300W and that's just 288W on the +12V rail. A GPU that can hit 200W and a CPU that can hit 100W makes me feel very uncomfortable. Luckily, FSP doesn't generally make pure trash and there's more wiggle room than some weird GamerSuperPowerTek 550W GamerNitro you buy for $19 on a Chinese website, that's just way too close for comfort. You could give me a SeaSonic Platinum-rated 280W PSU made of solid platinum and I wouldn't run this PC on that.

(Plus, platinum goes for like $800 an ounce so it would be way more profitable to sell that PSU anyway!)
i was thinking seasonic s12 II 520W or CX450 or VS450 from corsair aswell, since those are in my budget range and also seem in my pcs wattage range, I game around 3-4h a day and my pc is on for about 8h a day. Would one of those 3 PSUs cut it, is 450-500W enough for my pc?