[SOLVED] Should I get a pair of high speed ram?

damnbuoy

Reputable
Jun 6, 2018
Currently I have 2x 8GB HyperX Fury 2400mhz ram paired with 8700k, should I get more rams of same speed or replace them with higher speed rams?

Should I go for
4x8GB 2400mhz
or
2x16GB 3000/3200mhz?

Mostly Playing Games on my PC.

Config:
i7 8700k
GTX1080
ASRock Taichi Z370
2x8GB HyperX fury

Solution
Faster / more is 2 different things. Somebody trying to game with a decent cpu/gpu and only 8Gb of ram will almost definitely benefit from using 16Gb, and removing the ram from any bottleneck situations.

Most games currently are averaging between 5Gb and 12Gb for 1080p/1440p, for total system usage, it's only when going heavy on the 4k that games will approach 16Gb. Some brand new releases like the new Starwars recommend 32Gb, for just that reason, it can hit 16Gb+ at 1440p with top line cpu/gpu and you'll want to keep the ram dual channel, 32Gb is the next step up from 16Gb.

For you, your pc is pretty average for a gaming pc, nothing over the top like a 10900k with RTX2080ti sli, so 16Gb is plenty for the foreseeable future.

It's...
You don't need to do anything really, Intel CPU's don't care too much about RAM speed, and 16 GB RAM is enough for any game right now. So you neither need faster RAM nor more of it. Save that money and buy a faster GPU when 3000 series launches instead, or get a 10th gen i7 with a motherboard upgrade.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Save your money. You'll not see any real gains with faster ram in 95% of games. Flight simulators maybe, but not games as such.

I'd be looking at peripherals for your performance gains, not the pc's, as in a better mouse, better monitor, better keyboard etc.

damnbuoy

Reputable
Jun 6, 2018
You don't need to do anything really, Intel CPU's don't care too much about RAM speed, and 16 GB RAM is enough for any game right now. So you neither need faster RAM nor more of it. Save that money and buy a faster GPU when 3000 series launches instead, or get a 10th gen i7 with a motherboard upgrade.
your gpu upgrade suggestion makes sense but 10gen i7 with a new mobo? nvm thanks for suggestions

damnbuoy

Reputable
Jun 6, 2018
Save your money. You'll not see any real gains with faster ram in 95% of games. Flight simulators maybe, but not games as such.

I'd be looking at peripherals for your performance gains, not the pc's, as in a better mouse, better monitor, better keyboard etc.
got them good peripherals, and was wondering if faster rams or more ram wil do any good, thabks for replying ;)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Faster / more is 2 different things. Somebody trying to game with a decent cpu/gpu and only 8Gb of ram will almost definitely benefit from using 16Gb, and removing the ram from any bottleneck situations.

Most games currently are averaging between 5Gb and 12Gb for 1080p/1440p, for total system usage, it's only when going heavy on the 4k that games will approach 16Gb. Some brand new releases like the new Starwars recommend 32Gb, for just that reason, it can hit 16Gb+ at 1440p with top line cpu/gpu and you'll want to keep the ram dual channel, 32Gb is the next step up from 16Gb.

For you, your pc is pretty average for a gaming pc, nothing over the top like a 10900k with RTX2080ti sli, so 16Gb is plenty for the foreseeable future.

It's not going to hurt to move upto 2666MHz or even 3200MHz, but you'd be looking at low single digit improvements to fps, which honestly don't make much, if any, difference.

Reactions: damnbuoy
Solution
your gpu upgrade suggestion makes sense but 10gen i7 with a new mobo? nvm thanks for suggestions
That suggestion was only if you're desperate to spend the cash, yeah it may sound stupid but I've seen people be like that - "I have money and I need to spend it NOW." Good thing you aren't one of them - save your money and wait for an upgrade that actually improves performance.