[SOLVED] Should I Get More Case Fans?

Kirbyarm

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
I went ahead and purchased this case: https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352087

It seems to come equipped with 2 case fans by default. I chose this case primarily for the high standing it has for being one of the best airflow cases in its class, at least according to what I was able to find in my research. My concern is it only comes with said 2 fans. Claims to support 7 total fans. Should I get more? Where should I mount the 2 (or more) fans for optimal airflow?

I'll be putting an overclocked 9900k with NH-D15 in there.

Thanks for your time~

Solution
Water cooling 0 : 1 Air cooling :)

2 fans: 1 in front, 1 at the back. The one in front sucks air into the rig, the one at the back pulls air out of the rig

3 fans: add second fan in front of the case

4 fans: add one at the top to pull the air out of the rig

5 fans: add one at the front

6: add second to the top

etc....

I suggest to start with setup of 3 or 4 and monitor the temps. Also make sure to have enough connectors for the fans. (might need some kind of fan hub... meh, i don't know how's it called)

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
Water cooling 0 : 1 Air cooling :)

2 fans: 1 in front, 1 at the back. The one in front sucks air into the rig, the one at the back pulls air out of the rig

3 fans: add second fan in front of the case

4 fans: add one at the top to pull the air out of the rig

5 fans: add one at the front

6: add second to the top

etc....

I suggest to start with setup of 3 or 4 and monitor the temps. Also make sure to have enough connectors for the fans. (might need some kind of fan hub... meh, i don't know how's it called)

Last edited:
Solution
@Groveling_Wyrm Thank you. That makes a lot of sense!

If the case supports the 7 x 120mm fans, will it be able to support 4 x 140mm fans?

If you read newegg...the case specification states it can hold:

Fan Options

Front: 2 x 140mm / 3 x 120mm fan (1 x Dynamic X2 GP-12 included)

Top: 2 x 120mm / 2 x 140mm

Rear: 1 x 120mm fan (1 x Dynamic X2 GP-12 included)

Bottom: 1 x 120mm fan

So, you can put 140mm fans in on the top and front.

Kirbyarm

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
@Groveling_Wyrm Sorry, I'm still trying to learn what to look for when purchasing all of these new computer parts. The explanation is really helpful and appreciated, thank you! I think I get it now.

If anything, at least you're getting a bunch of upvotes! hehe

So if I went with a 4-fan setup at first.. we want two of them pulling air from outside the case at the front of the computer right? I can kind of see why @maziech seems to prioritize a second fan there before a top fan. Hmm.

@Groveling_Wyrm Sorry, I'm still trying to learn what to look for when purchasing all of these new computer parts. The explanation is really helpful and appreciated, thank you! I think I get it now.

If anything, at least you're getting a bunch of upvotes! hehe

So if I went with a 4-fan setup at first.. we want two of them pulling air from outside the case at the front of the computer right? I can kind of see why @maziech seems to prioritize a second fan there before a top fan. Hmm.

I also recommend 4 fans. it promotes good airflow. Also, prevents any issues if a fan fails. You always have a second fan on the front or rear.

Correct, 2 fans at front, 1 at back, 1 at the top back....promotes smooth air flow through the case that way.

maziech

Respectable
Feb 18, 2019
Those are gr8 fans, but why 4? If i am correct, You should get 2x120 fans included buying this case?
For a start, You can just buy 2x 140 for the front panel. If You're not satisfied, You can always replace them with bq!

Kirbyarm

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
@SkyNetRising @maziech Is there a way we can find out which two fans get included with the case so I can compare their airflow to the Be Quiets and other fans? Because I want to do that, but I don't want cheap crappy fans if I can get good ones to keep my system cool, you know?

Really don't want to go baller $2,300 CDN on this PC and end up cheaping out on the fans/cooling.

Kirbyarm

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2013
I figured the performance would be comparable and not a huge concern, but the noise level... not so sure. 4 case fans. Be Quiets are well.. reputable for boasting performance and silence at the same time.

So the fractal 120's have 1200 max RPM compared to the Pure Wing's 1600. They perform about the same but the fractal doesn't list a minimum and maximum sound it just says
Acoustical noise [dB (A)]19.4

Which I'm not sure if that means 19.4 at max speed or at idle temperatures, it doesn't quite specify. The Pure Wings say 15 - 20 dB.

Perhaps it wouldn't kill me to get them anyway in case some go bad as I have no extras and my old PC (the one I'm using right now) I intend to turn into a server-hosting PC in another room of the house which the fans on those are going on 5 years on nearly 24/7 operation and could go anytime. I think it wouldn't be a terrible investment, yeah?

So back to the Pure Wings inquiries. I have the option to get them with or without PWM. I'm not sure what PWM is. Should I get them with PWM?

I have an R6 that came with the gp-14, which are the 140mm version of the ones included in your case. As maziech stated, they're decent fans. They're fairly quiet and flow decently. The be quiet fans will definitely be an upgrade.

Pwm means pulse width. Basically they'll be adjustable. Where as the 3 pin will be direct voltage. Fixed at max rpm all the time.

Usually a safe assumption that 4 pin equals pwm. Depends on your board, but most newer boards have an abundance of fan headers available. And if not you can grab a fan hub/splitter. Fractal has one, and it may even come with the case, the r6 did.

Pwm fans if you care about noise levels. This way you can adjust based on temp, and not just have them all out, all the time.