Question Should I get the rtx 2080 msi trio? best buy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iseeu1001

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2012
Its $659 and the rtx 2080 super is coming and that is going to be $699 but I am not sure if best buy will get it because bb doesn't even have the rtx super cards for the 2060 and 2070.

iseeu1001

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2012
Corsair RM650X?

That's a waste of some $700 - 800 with that monitor displaying only 60hz.
A 2070 Super($500), or 5700XT($400), would've been enough, and have yielded the same performance.
I wouldnt call it a waste but did spent about $1300 on the card. Can handle anything thrown to it and I have a CX650M.
Not really interested in getting new monitor as you can see I still had rocked an intel HD 630 gpu since I built my computer in 2017 lol so not really an intense gamer per say.

C0v3r

Great
Jun 9, 2019
I wouldnt call it a waste but did spent about $1300 on the card. Can handle anything thrown to it and I have a CX650M.

Not really interested in getting new monitor as you can see I still had rocked an intel HD 630 gpu since I built my computer in 2017 lol so not really an intense gamer per say.
Yeah I guess I was just saying once you have the money it looked really good even when you are just browsing the web but u know I guess if u have rtx on then u only hit 60 hz right?

iseeu1001

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2012
Yeah I guess I was just saying once you have the money it looked really good even when you are just browsing the web but u know I guess if u have rtx on then u only hit 60 hz right?
I do got the cash for a new monitor but just why? My current 25 inch 1440p monitor is still doing its job. Until it stops working then I will never need to get a new one unless I feel like it. Heck I didn't even need the 2080 ti but I just got it because I felt like it.

C0v3r

Great
Jun 9, 2019
I do got the cash for a new monitor but just why? My current 25 inch 1440p monitor is still doing its job. Until it stops working then I will never need to get a new one unless I feel like it. Heck I didn't even need the 2080 ti but I just got it because I felt like it.
Oh well what I'm saying is that in 1440p the 2080ti is overkill for a 60 hz monitor cuz u can get around 120 to 144 fps in game so it is overkill.

iseeu1001

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2012
Oh one question. What is the difference between the blower and the XC ultra that I just bought other then having 2 fans? https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-2280-KR
Im not sure if I should return the XC ultra or not because I also see a black edition for $1099 at evga website. Is the black edition still good because only the boost clock is the only difference from what I am seeing on the website. Heck I could save that $200 that I paid for the 2080 ti XC ultra on best buy if I get the black edition for $1099 because I am sure that they perform similar if the only difference is the boost clock.

https://www.evga.com/products/Compare.aspx

I am thinking bout returning my XC ultra and just getting the black edition if its only going to be a difference of $200 and nothing is really different because cooling will be the same etc... and I am sure I can overclock the graphics card to the same if I wanted to and save that $200

iseeu1001

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2012
Blower style coolers typically excel in PCs with space restrictions.
They run warmer and louder - single fan, after all.
Aside from that, aftermarket models are superior.
But what is the difference between the XC ultra and the black edition that I just showed other then the boost clock? I mean if nothing else I might as well return the card and get it cheaper from evga website. I don't really see myself needing the extra 115 boost clock and the 28.6 texture fill rate because it will still be better then my intel iGPU that I used to have. Do you think its worth a return?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Blower coolers - louder and warmer, primarily due to having a single fan. Does not boost(GPU BOOST 3.0) or OC as high due to running into thermal limits sooner.
As an upside, they do not dump most of their waste heat into the case, but this does not make up for their inferior cooling.

Aftermarket 2 and 3 fan models - quieter and cooler, because more fans. Boosts(GPU BOOST 3.0) and OCs higher due to better cooling.
These dump most of their waste heat into the case, but their benefits make up for this.

That's literally it.
Whether that's worth it is entirely up to you.

iseeu1001

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2012
Blower coolers - louder and warmer, primarily due to having a single fan. Does not boost(GPU BOOST 3.0) or OC as high due to running into thermal limits sooner.
As an upside, they do not dump most of their waste heat into the case, but this does not make up for their inferior cooling.

Aftermarket 2 and 3 fan models - quieter and cooler, because more fans. Boosts(GPU BOOST 3.0) and OCs higher due to better cooling.
These dump most of their waste heat into the case, but their benefits make up for this.

That's literally it.
Whether that's worth it is entirely up to you.
I am not talking bout the blower card anymore but the difference between the XC ultra and black edition. I could be saving money. Check the link for me because I think it might be worth it to return the ultra and get the black edition instead since there is barely anything different right?
https://www.evga.com/products/Compare.aspx

iseeu1001

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2012
It's $50 - before taxes, and if they don't offer free shipping, how much, in credit, will you get back(I've never ordered from EVGA before)?
The $50 will probably be gone after that.
Dang I just looked and they dont even offer free shipping so no point in returning. Guess ill just keep my XC Ultra. Wouldn't have guess that evga doesn't offer free shipping which is weird.