Question Should i go for 240 hz or 144 hz?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
When someone can provide proof that people can, without being told what the current refresh rate is, tell the difference between 144 and 240, then I'll say it's worth thinking about.

But, frankly, 240Hz is a gimmick. Not even counting the human eye being the limiting factor, how many games can actually run 240fps, even on a 2080Ti?

The question is, who will get the kill when it comes to response time? The guy with the 60hz panel or the guy with the 240hz panel. There may not be barely any difference between 144hz and 240hz (I totally agree with this) but it's been said time and time again. The difference canot be seen, only felt and that difference might be what determines who lives and dies in a CSGO match no matter how much of a fraction of a second it is. I rarely ever recommend a 240hz panel and for esports titles like csgo are rare occasions.

Jun 11, 2019
A 1080 should be well equipped to take advantage of framerates well above 144Hz (at 1080p), for most games. Now will that make a difference? It's doubtful that the refresh rate difference in these two will make any sort of impact on your skill, or your ability to improve.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
@King_V you rock ultrawide like I do right? We are a different animal.

That's true - at 3840x1600 (48-75Hz FreeSync). The extra width to mimic the dual 1920x1080 monitors I have at work, though the 1600 vertical resolution vs the workplace's 1080 vertical is a nice bonus.

In hindsight, though, I probably should've gone 3440x1440. That would be something like two 1720-pixel-width monitors, and I think I could've lived with the 10% loss of horizontal resolution, which would've made the video card I had when I first got the big monitor scream for mercy much less. :eek::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: SgtScream
That's true - at 3840x1600 (48-75Hz FreeSync). The extra width to mimic the dual 1920x1080 monitors I have at work, though the 1600 vertical resolution vs the workplace's 1080 vertical is a nice bonus.

In hindsight, though, I probably should've gone 3440x1440. That would be something like two 1720-pixel-width monitors, and I think I could've lived with the 10% loss of horizontal resolution, which would've made the video card I had when I first got the big monitor scream for mercy much less. :eek::ROFLMAO:
Those nano IPS high refresh rate ultra wide monitors that are just coming out, they are a pretty penny. Hopefully they'll drop in price eventually.

Reactions: King_V

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
If you mostly play csgo and test that you can get minimum of 240 frames per second then my suggestion is Benq xl2546 i have it and its awesome monitor, my specs wont even run it at stable 240 frames but im using 180 hz with 180 dyac its fine monitor with alot of options to tweak. Only monitor where blur reduction didnt feel odd for me somehow.

If you dont care about blur reduction at all and get 240 frames + minimum then get xl2540

These 2 are used by half of people on the pro screne (i admit most are sponsorship deals) but still they wouldnt use a bad monitor at that level : https://prosettings.net/cs-go-pro-settings-gear-list/

TRENDING THREADS