[SOLVED] Should I go for Crucial RAM?

TheDarkIce

Honorable
Apr 13, 2017
currently, I have 2 x 4gb sticks of hyper X and I wanted to upgrade to 16 gigs.

I was wondering if I should go for Crucial ram instead of Hyper X because Crucial is cheaper. Would it be okay for gaming?

(I'm gonna buy 2x 8gb sticks for 16 gb btw)

Hyper X : Amazon Link : 50 usd

Crucial : Amazon Link : 35 usd

Solution
Hi @TheDarkIce

Both are good RAM. The HyperX has a heat spreader whereas the Crucial does not but at 2400 it's more for looks. The Crucial also has a wide support base and lifetime warranty. Not sure about warranty for HyperX as it's not showing once I click on it's Warranty Info tab.

Whats the rest of your system specs?

(At others - He didn't say he's mixing as he has 2x4GB & wants to go to 2x8GB)
currently, I have 2 x 4gb sticks of hyper X and I wanted to upgrade to 16 gigs.

I was wondering if I should go for Crucial ram instead of Hyper X because Crucial is cheaper. Would it be okay for gaming?

(I'm gonna buy 2x 8gb sticks for 16 gb btw)

Hyper X : Amazon Link : 50 usd

Crucial : Amazon Link : 35 usd
Ideally you will go with the same brand, speed, and CAS of your current RAM. Mixing brands, speeds, and CAS can lead to system instability.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi @TheDarkIce

Both are good RAM. The HyperX has a heat spreader whereas the Crucial does not but at 2400 it's more for looks. The Crucial also has a wide support base and lifetime warranty. Not sure about warranty for HyperX as it's not showing once I click on it's Warranty Info tab.

Solution

TheDarkIce

Honorable
Apr 13, 2017
Hi @TheDarkIce

my pc specs:

i5 7600k
GTX 1060 6gb
Gigabyte H110M-S2
2x 4gb Hyper X

550W PSU

120gb ssd
1tb hdd

I'll order the Crucial sticks by tomorrow since they're cheaper unless someone gives me better options. thanks for your reply :)

Hi @TheDarkIce

Wow I really need to learn to read better.....Thanks for pointing out the going to 2x8GB.

The biggest issue I have with the Crucial RAM then are the CAS timings. They are rated for CA17 on DDR4-2400MHz...yuck

my pc specs:

i5 7600k
GTX 1060 6gb
Gigabyte H110M-S2
2x 4gb Hyper X

550W PSU

120gb ssd
1tb hdd

I'll order the Crucial sticks by tomorrow since they're cheaper unless someone gives me better options. thanks for your reply :)
Remember you are going to want a 2x8GB kit. The kits are guaranteed to work together. When you see the kit prices the Hyper-X is actually cheaper that the Crucial. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WJJHWX...btag=tomshardware-7912524850615250000-21&th=1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019FRD5O...btag=tomshardware-2815540258085329000-21&th=1

Reactions: Mrgr74

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Remember you are going to want a 2x8GB kit. The kits are guaranteed to work together. When you see the kit prices the Hyper-X is actually cheaper that the Crucial. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WJJHWX...btag=tomshardware-7912524850615250000-21&th=1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019FRD5O...btag=tomshardware-2815540258085329000-21&th=1

@TheDarkIce - See the above as you'll want to avoid buying 1x8GB now and another later on. Even if that means you have to wait a little now to save up, it would be the best step to take.

@jeremyj_83 - Good catch yourself as it's almost $10 cheaper. The HyperX also got very good reviews. Definitely looks like the kit to go with between the 2 he listed out.

Reactions: jeremyj_83
You wrote, "I'm gonna buy 2x 8gb sticks for 16 gb btw". Then, your Amazon links are for 8GB modules sold as Single modules.

Memory modules sold as Singles have no guarantee to work in any configuration other than as Single modules.

Use of exact match, same thing, identical modules also are not guaranteed to be compatible together unless purchased together in a single kit.

TheDarkIce

Honorable
Apr 13, 2017
@TheDarkIce - See the above as you'll want to avoid buying 1x8GB now and another later on. Even if that means you have to wait a little now to save up, it would be the best step to take.

@jeremyj_83 - Good catch yourself as it's almost $10 cheaper. The HyperX also got very good reviews. Definitely looks like the kit to go with between the 2 he listed out.
I couldn't find a kit for neither Crucial nor Hyper X on Amazon.in. If I order from Amazon.com, there'll be very high shipping charges because I live in India.

I've ordered 2x 4gb Hyper X before (not in a single kit) and it worked just fine. If anything, I can buy 2 Hyper X sticks 8gb (not in a kit) and refund it if they don't work together.

TheDarkIce

Honorable
Apr 13, 2017
You wrote, "I'm gonna buy 2x 8gb sticks for 16 gb btw". Then, your Amazon links are for 8GB modules sold as Single modules.

Memory modules sold as Singles have no guarantee to work in any configuration other than as Single modules.

Use of exact match, same thing, identical modules also are not guaranteed to be compatible together unless purchased together in a single kit.
I tried looking for kits on Amazon.in and found kits that were triple the price. I can buy the sticks individually and refund if they don't work.

Oh, and I can't buy from Amazon.com or any site out of India because India has very high Import taxes.

TheDarkIce

Honorable
Apr 13, 2017

So, from where I stand, 2 Crucial sticks are still cheaper than 2 Hyper X sticks.

TheDarkIce

Honorable
Apr 13, 2017
I tried finding kits on Amazon.in and found kits for both Crucial and Hyper X. Both of which costed triple the price than if I bought them Individually.

I can't order stuff from outside India. like I can't use Amazon.com because India has very high Import taxes and it would just cost way to much.

TheDarkIce

Honorable
Apr 13, 2017