[SOLVED] Should I go for this i7-10700K parts list or alternate i7-9700k parts list?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
My max budget is $1,000. Please advise on the list below for an i7-10700k build. Is it over priced for my needs? (Development work, heavy Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign, and probably premier pro work). No gaming whatsoever. I mostly want a very fast, snappy, smooth, work horse of a PC. I don't want to go for the Ryzen build, just my personal choice. Any advice on the parts list would be much appreciated. BTW, I will be reusing my existing CPU cooler, PSU, and Computer Case. Thanks.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($409.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: MSI Z490-A PRO ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($178.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($174.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $913.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-23 02:14 EDT-0400

What's your opinon on this critical review for the i7-10700K processor? Specifically no support for Gen4 PCIe.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/SingleProductReview?reviewid=10463052

I have this alternative i7-9700K build. Which build list would you choose?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($379.39 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($178.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 8 GB PULSE Video Card ($174.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $913.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-23 02:25 EDT-0400

Last edited:
Solution
1.) Being that this mobo is designed for dual channel RAM, is it best to install 2 x 8GB ram sticks or is 1 x 16gb OK? If I install a 1 x 16GB stick, then I could easily upgrade to 32GB with an extra and identical 16GB stick rather than waste the 2 x 8GB sticks in favor of installing 2 new 16GB sticks (I understand that you can't use 2 different RAM types or capacities on a dual channel).
You should definitely use a kit containing 2 sticks of RAM to allow it to run in dual-channel mode. Using a single kit cuts maximum memory bandwidth in half, which can hurt performance in many applications.

As for the choice of i7-9700K versus i7-10700K, the 10700K is more or less an i9-9900K at a lower price point, while the 9700K will...

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Intel is usually faster when looking at pure highest fps and only when comparing certain cpu's, but that's it.

Haven't come into problems with Samsung ssd's and AMD chipsets. Think i saw another thread where that was a point and i looked into it. If i remember correctly they patched that.

Think you just might need to keep an eye on certain things, like using latest version of Samsung Magician. Or make sure you install latest AMD chipset drivers first after installing windows.

And the next,

Desktop systems based on AMD 6-Series, 7-Series, 8-Series, 9-Series, Socket AM4, and Socket TR4 chipsets running Windows® 10 should use the Microsoft provided Standard SATA AHCI Controller driver that comes installed with Windows® by default. This configuration ensures compatibility and offers the best experience with most types of mass storage devices.
"Red" means don't install AMD's/motherboard makers own sata drivers.

Last edited:

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
Intel is usually faster when looking at pure highest fps and only when comparing certain cpu's, but that's it.

Haven't come into problems with Samsung ssd's and AMD chipsets. Think i saw another thread where that was a point and i looked into it. If i remember correctly they patched that.

Think you just might need to keep an eye on certain things, like using latest version of Samsung Magician. Or make sure you install latest AMD chipset drivers first after installing windows.

And the next,

"Red" means don't install AMD's own sata drivers.
Thank you for your feedback, but I'd rather not risk dabbling with AMD builds and technologies as I have 0% experience with it. I've decided to stick with the i7-9700K build. Thanks.

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
That is up to you. ;)

Might want to take the i5 10600 into account if you can find it and with a decent motherboard within your budget.
I'm seriously considering the i5-10600K over the i7-9700K as it's a newer Intel CPU, offers comparable performance with the i7-9700K, and would probably offer better future proofing.

Are these Air forced CPU coolers sufficient for the i5-10600K even under heavy loads (suggested for the i7-9700K by @Phaaze88)

Noctua NH-D15S
Noctua NH-U12A
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT
Scythe FUMA 2
Cryorig R1 Ultimate

As you mentioned, I could probably get away with a budget friendly LGA 1200 board. And all the other parts are the same from the 9700K parts list. Looks feasible to me; and a quick look estimates just about a $1,000 total. I'll post my final 10600K parts list when I'm done. Thanks.

Last edited:

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
Reactions: Vic 40

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Abit better looking, also just abit more expensive,
Thermalright Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler (Macho Rev.B) - PCPartPicker
if you have a case with window might this look better with the black top. There is even a "C", don't see what the difference is,
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jr6qqs/thermalright-macho-revc-8497-cfm-cpu-cooler-macho-revc
maybe another revision of the fan or soemthing like that. Is another $5 extra.

The "Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT " mentioned above is about the ultimate version of this design. The "Direct"and the "RT" are both in the next review, can you decide if the extra money spend is worth it for you,
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT CPU Cooler Review (Page 6 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests, and Noise Results]) | TweakTown

Nova43

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
Abit better looking, also just abit more expensive,
Thermalright Macho Rev.B 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler (Macho Rev.B) - PCPartPicker
if you have a case with window might this look better with the black top. There is even a "C", don't see what the difference is,
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jr6qqs/thermalright-macho-revc-8497-cfm-cpu-cooler-macho-revc
maybe another revision of the fan or soemthing like that. Is another $5 extra.

The "Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT " mentioned above is about the ultimate version of this design. The "Direct"and the "RT" are both in the next review, can you decide if the extra money spend is worth it for you,
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT CPU Cooler Review (Page 6 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests, and Noise Results]) | TweakTown
Thanks for these suggestions. Greatly appreciated. I'll take a look at them closely. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS