[SOLVED] Should I move from 3960x to 5950x or wait for ZEN3 TR? [Hobby PC]

Mr.Vegas

Reputable
Mar 13, 2019
Hey,

Disclaimer: Im not professional video editor or someone that needs TR for work, my PC is mainly for Hobby.

Long story short, should I upgrade my Zenith II + 3960x to x570 Godlike + 5950x? And do you think i can live with it for 5 years? [I usually upgrade every new gen, but with ZEN3 beating Intel, it may be good enough for 5 years and the mobo has everything I might need]

My main PC usage is "Extreme" Web browsing, after 5-6 hours I fill up 32Gb of RAM and both of my open browsers crash, [i do have 64GB kit set aside for the TR build or anything else, it just isn't compatible with my Temp pc that i use].

I game in 4K, now I can do 4K/120, but 4K/60 is also fine and I encode audio-books and will in future edit and encode videos [Im new to video encoding but if im not wrong its done on the GPU]

Or should I wait for ZEN3 based Threadripper, 5960x? Im afraid that AMD will increase the prices again, and when ZEN3 comes out my 3960x will look like trash in benchmarks so the second hand value will drop lower then 50%, right now I can get almost full price back and for my mobo too, they both new.

When TR came-out I got both Zenith II and 3960x and to this day they just screwed on to the new PC case, never used, i have water block installed and thats it, nothing is done, all parts are new and never connected to electricity. So in theory I can sell them and cover the price of Godlike and 5950x, maybe even have something left on top, who knows.

So i need some opinions, some time ago i went for ZENITH II + 3960x because i needed lots of PCIe, but now I can get same features on x570 Godlike it has x4 Gen 4.0 PCIe slots x8/x4/x4/x4 [which I need, all of them] and it has x3 M.2. which I also need.

Before when Nvidia was on PCIe Gen 3.0 i didn't consider this option because it would be running 2080TI on x8 Gen 3.0, but now with Gen 4.0 it will be fine for my 3090 running Gen 4.0 x8 [if AMD surprise me with 6900XT and has great RT and better performance, ill send it back and get 6900XT]

If I go with 5950x i already have a water block ready, so except mobo and CPU i wont have to buy anything else

What do you think?

Solution
The 10700K is temp PC, my future NAS.
What im thinking about is about my ZENITH II + 3960x build to sell and get 5950x
It'd be a good upgrade to improve speeds, but It'd have less raw power. https://nanoreview.net/en/cpu-compare/amd-ryzen-threadripper-3960x-vs-amd-ryzen-9-5950x
yes yes I know userbenchmark pshhhhh. But scroll down to the bottom of the page and see their all core power compared https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-TR-3960X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-5950X/m969111vs4086

For all the comparisons I...

Mr.Vegas

Reputable
Mar 13, 2019
I'm a little confused how you'd manage to crash with 32gb of ram. Are you opening 100's of tabs? How is that even usable lol.

Imagine 55inch 4K TV and imagine 2/3 of it just tabs [using waterfox classic], right now i have near 1K tabs in waterfox and maybe 100 in Vivaldi
Of course i dont refresh all of them, 90% are unloaded, but when i check the web site, i keep the tab, i have my regular sites that i visit every day. [also i do reserch, whataver it may be, a new book, some tech topic i always open all the links in new tab, also maybe 40% of tabs are Audiobook reviews and info, im addicted, always with bluetooth and always have a book playing]
But I suspect the RAM is due 4K YT videos, I guess Its a bug in waterfox, when you close a video it doesnt unload the data from the RAM
I have no videos in Vivaldi and it takes as of right now just 970mb and waterfox 4.8GB and total system usage 17GB
My temp PC is 10700K/32GB

Anyway, what do you think about my situation? wait for ZEN3 TR, take a chance that it might be 100-200$ more expensive and my old one will look silly like ZEN2 Ryzens look now and lose value on second hand, or get 5950x and new mobo and sell my old parts while they still have value?
Also the next TR probally will have lower boosts then Ryzen and less OC potential
One huge minus is that AM4 is Dead, x570 is dead and ZEN4 will be different pony with new chipset, socket and maybe even RAM, but i heared rumors that AMD might skip 2021 since they have no competition from Intel.
Personally I finally want a good CPU and good motherboard that has everything so i wont have to upgrade it for the next 5-6 years no matter what comes.
I seen russin 5950x review and he OC on air to 5Gz but only in games, i have custom loop so i might get it permanently

Imagine 55inch 4K TV and imagine 2/3 of it just tabs [using waterfox classic], right now i have near 1K tabs in waterfox and maybe 100 in Vivaldi
Of course i dont refresh all of them, 90% are unloaded, but when i check the web site, i keep the tab, i have my regular sites that i visit every day. [also i do reserch, whataver it may be, a new book, some tech topic i always open all the links in new tab, also maybe 40% of tabs are Audiobook reviews and info, im addicted, always with bluetooth and always have a book playing]
But I suspect the RAM is due 4K YT videos, I guess Its a bug in waterfox, when you close a video it doesnt unload the data from the RAM
I have no videos in Vivaldi and it takes as of right now just 970mb and waterfox 4.8GB and total system usage 17GB
My temp PC is 10700K/32GB

Anyway, what do you think about my situation? wait for ZEN3 TR, take a chance that it might be 100-200$ more expensive and my old one will look silly like ZEN2 Ryzens look now and lose value on second hand, or get 5950x and new mobo and sell my old parts while they still have value?
Also the next TR probally will have lower boosts then Ryzen and less OC potential
One huge minus is that AM4 is Dead, x570 is dead and ZEN4 will be different pony with new chipset, socket and maybe even RAM, but i heared rumors that AMD might skip 2021 since they have no competition from Intel.
Personally I finally want a good CPU and good motherboard that has everything so i wont have to upgrade it for the next 5-6 years no matter what comes.
I seen russin 5950x review and he OC on air to 5Gz but only in games, i have custom loop so i might get it permanently
Okay this makes more sense. Your web browsing is so intense that your 10700k is being brought to it's knees lol. Hmmmm why not go for the newest Ryzen processors. They have amazing performance and definitely aren't a bad investment and should have much more multi-core capability that'd suit your use case more. I'd save your ram and case etc and try to sell your motherboard and cpu as a bundle or separate so you have more money to put towards your new motherboard and amd processor. Your ram isn't the issue if it's only being half utilized.
Oh and video encoding can be done on cpu and gpu.

Mr.Vegas

Reputable
Mar 13, 2019
Okay this makes more sense. Your web browsing is so intense that your 10700k is being brought to it's knees lol. Hmmmm why not go for the newest Ryzen processors. They have amazing performance and definitely aren't a bad investment and should have much more multi-core capability that'd suit your use case more. I'd save your ram and case etc and try to sell your motherboard and cpu as a bundle or separate so you have more money to put towards your new motherboard and amd processor. Your ram isn't the issue if it's only being half utilized.
Oh and video encoding can be done on cpu and gpu.

What im thinking about is about my ZENITH II + 3960x build to sell and get 5950x

It'd be a good upgrade to improve speeds, but It'd have less raw power. https://nanoreview.net/en/cpu-compare/amd-ryzen-threadripper-3960x-vs-amd-ryzen-9-5950x
yes yes I know userbenchmark pshhhhh. But scroll down to the bottom of the page and see their all core power compared https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-TR-3960X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-5950X/m969111vs4086

For all the comparisons I could find, the 5950x has better single core performance so really good gaming, but significantly worse all core performance when compared to the 3960x. It still has super good all core performance though haha, it just looks a little silly if you compare it to a thread ripper in that area. Still much more horsepower than the 10700K, just more toned down with significantly better gaming performance. So it loses 40% multicore performance for around 15%~ extra single core performance, you get to decide if that's worth it. After doing more research, I'd probably keep the TR for a while and undervolt it a little bit to decrease power consumption to lower temps and allow it to turbo to higher frequencies. I undervolted my ryzenn 5 2600 It consumes 67w when I test it's power consumption, which I brought down to 60w. Temps from 63c to 60c And I end up getting 3.5ghz underload before the undervolt and now 3.6ghz underload with the undervolt. Pretty cool considering its reducing power consumption. That might be worth looking at to give you a few extra percent of performance. I'll probably make a tutorial on how to undervolt a desktop cpu later today.

Solution

Mr.Vegas

Reputable
Mar 13, 2019

For all the comparisons I could find, the 5950x has better single core performance so really good gaming, but significantly worse all core performance when compared to the 3960x. It still has super good all core performance though haha, it just looks a little silly if you compare it to a thread ripper in that area. Still much more horsepower than the 10700K, just more toned down with significantly better gaming performance. So it loses 40% multicore performance for around 15%~ extra single core performance, you get to decide if that's worth it. After doing more research, I'd probably keep the TR for a while and undervolt it a little bit to decrease power consumption to lower temps and allow it to turbo to higher frequencies. I undervolted my ryzenn 5 2600 It consumes 67w when I test it's power consumption, which I brought down to 60w. Temps from 63c to 60c And I end up getting 3.5ghz underload before the undervolt and now 3.6ghz underload with the undervolt. Pretty cool considering its reducing power consumption. That might be worth looking at to give you a few extra percent of performance. I'll probably make a tutorial on how to undervolt a desktop cpu later today.

I decided to hold on for 3960x, since the motherboard that I have ZENITH II, beats anything avalible for Ryzen, and ill wait for zen3 based TR 5960x