Should I overclock RAM or buy it at a set frequency?

Zuhayr378

Reputable
May 15, 2014
I am going to build a gaming PC this summer but I've heard the frequency of RAM, or the amount of RAM (if a lot of) doesn't impact performance. If I am going to buy a 16 GB kit (2x8GB) for my build, what frequency should I get? I heard 1600 MHz is enough but it would be better to get 1866 MHz. Though 1866 MHz is $20 more where I live. I would like to get the 1600 MHz version because it is cheaper but the real question is if it is better to overclock the RAM, or have it set at that certain frequency already? Also, is there much of a difference between 1600 MHz, 1866 MHz, and above, especially if I am gaming?

Thanks!

P.S. I am getting CAS 9 RAM

Solution
I'd go the 1866/9, that way you have the faster, and down the road (if decent sticks) can OC them higher if you have a CPU that can carry them
Jun 25, 2018
Depends on your motherboard. Stock frequency RAM is always going to cost you less but, if your MB supports custom profiles (most do, I believe), you may find that your stock (non-XMP) RAM is capable of stably supporting higher frequencies. You will need to take it a step at a time and, have the OC frequency timing profiles on hand to manually enter them in your BIOS. I recommend going for the lowest OC frequency, (which varies depending on the RAM type you're using), and go up - if possible - from there.

My CPU doesn't support OC DDR4 RAM above PC4-1700 (2133MHz) so, that kind'a limits what I can do. The newer DDR4 RAM starts at 2133MHz so, I took a shot on the "Try It" feature (RAM clock profile presets) of my MSI X99A-SLI MB's BIOS and went with the Hynix profile to reduce my RAM latency from 15, 15, 15, 36, (etc.) to 13, 13, 13, 35... Since my Crucial DDR4 RAM uses Hynix chips anyway. And, Viola! It works perfectly. So, even though I am limited by my CPU to 2133MHz (@DDR), I have reduced the RAM latency and improved the performance of my RAM benchmark scores to that which would be expected from pricier RAM modules I didn't pay for.

I know the "answer" (suggestions) I give here are late, and offer not very much help to those with Gigabyte MBs (which unlike some ASRock boards) don't support preset RAM profiles... Still, you should be able to manually edit, just be prepared for failures to boot, and BSOD crashes requiring resets and next attempts, if the profiles you use wind up beyond the abilities of the RAM modules you are working with. A better performing rig is the goal though, and worth the effort, if it saves you from spending the cash you don't really have for the upgrade results you are wanting.