[SOLVED] Should I overlock RAM or return / replace? Upgraded from 2 to 4 sticks of RAM… XMP will not work

Sep 15, 2021
Should I overlock or return and replace? I just upgraded my memory from 2 sticks to 4 (of the same exact type) and the XMP1 profile will not post/boot up.

For the past year I’ve been running 2x sticks of G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 4000 Memory Model F4-4000C16D-32GTZR. Here’s my build: link to pcpartpicker (10900k build on an Asus Maximus XII Hero Wifi). I’ve been running them using the XMP1 profile and getting the 4000 16-19-19-39 as advertised, no problems. Recently I’ve been doing more 4k video post production work and I need more memory so I bought another pair of the same exact memory kit.

I installed the addition sticks for now a total of 4x (64GB). Booted up and my PC won’t boot… bios sends me to safe mode “because of system instability”. So I tried turning off the XMP profile and going with Auto instead and the computer boots and runs no problem. But of course my ram is running at much slow speeds now (screenshot of CPUZ with 4 sticks running on auto). Help!

So what should we do now?

Option 1: Should I learn how to overlock RAM manually? Option 1b: Should I use the XMP profile but just bump the voltage from 1.4 to 1.45?

Option 2: Should I return the new sticks and sell the old sticks… then buy a new pair of 64gb RAM (2x 32gb)? Using XMP profiles is so easy (if it works).

Option 3: Do whatever the tom's hardware gurus tell me to do :)

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any help would be much appreciated.

Solution
.. so I bought another pair of the same exact memory kit.
Even though the RAM modules appear to be the same, they have not been tested to work together.
The RAM that goes into a RAM kit (package) has been tested to work together. There are times that different RAM modules, even if they look similar, and have the same model they could have different IC chips brands.
It is not recommended to mix and match RAM modules from different kits, since the outcome is unpredictable.
To avoid issues, modules with identical specifications found on a RAM kit should be used when running in multi-channel mode.

Manufacturers don’t guarantee mixing or adding one RAM from a kit to another, even when they are the "exact same" model.
There are many...
.. so I bought another pair of the same exact memory kit.
Even though the RAM modules appear to be the same, they have not been tested to work together.
The RAM that goes into a RAM kit (package) has been tested to work together. There are times that different RAM modules, even if they look similar, and have the same model they could have different IC chips brands.
It is not recommended to mix and match RAM modules from different kits, since the outcome is unpredictable.
To avoid issues, modules with identical specifications found on a RAM kit should be used when running in multi-channel mode.

Manufacturers don’t guarantee mixing or adding one RAM from a kit to another, even when they are the "exact same" model.
There are many memory companies (e.g. Kingston/HyperX) and only three DRAM chips manufacturers (Micron, Samsung, and Hynix) .
A memory company like Kingston/HyperX might sell the same RAM module with chips from one of those DRAM chips manufacturers. The RAM internal timings might differ from one kit to another.
Sometimes they might play nicely with one another and some other times they just refuse to work.

Option 2: Should I return the new sticks and sell the old sticks… then buy a new pair of 64gb RAM (2x 32gb)? Using XMP profiles is so easy (if it works).
For a stable workstation I would go with Option 2
Buy a 64GB kit.

Since the i9 10900k native speed is 2933MHz, getting a 3200 MHz or 3600 MHz with low cast (CAS14) might give you the same results and might cost less.

Last edited:
Solution

Endre

Honorable
Should I overlock or return and replace? I just upgraded my memory from 2 sticks to 4 (of the same exact type) and the XMP1 profile will not post/boot up.

For the past year I’ve been running 2x sticks of G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 4000 Memory Model F4-4000C16D-32GTZR. Here’s my build: link to pcpartpicker (10900k build on an Asus Maximus XII Hero Wifi). I’ve been running them using the XMP1 profile and getting the 4000 16-19-19-39 as advertised, no problems. Recently I’ve been doing more 4k video post production work and I need more memory so I bought another pair of the same exact memory kit.

I installed the addition sticks for now a total of 4x (64GB). Booted up and my PC won’t boot… bios sends me to safe mode “because of system instability”. So I tried turning off the XMP profile and going with Auto instead and the computer boots and runs no problem. But of course my ram is running at much slow speeds now (screenshot of CPUZ with 4 sticks running on auto). Help!

So what should we do now?

Option 1: Should I learn how to overlock RAM manually? Option 1b: Should I use the XMP profile but just bump the voltage from 1.4 to 1.45?

Option 3: Do whatever the tom's hardware gurus tell me to do :)

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any help would be much appreciated.

I’d choose option #2.

Also, please keep in mind that when running 64GB of DDR4 SDRAM, lower frequencies are “safer” on the long run: @ 2666 ~ 3200 MT/s.