[SOLVED] Should I pair a gtx 1660 with fx 8300

Sep 19, 2019
I was just wondering if I should pair a gtx 1660 with an fx8300 as I cannot change my cpu for awhile Also I have a 1050 ti currently but really I wanted the vr support. I was going to get a 1060 but 1660 is cheaper.

Solution
thats a really smart idea, and my FPS goes down when i turn down my graphics
A totally unexpected result.
The theory is that by lowering your settings, the graphics card has less work to do and becomes less of a limitation.
If the cpu is capable of generating more frames per second, your fps should have gone up.

Usually, games like sims strategy and mmo tend to depend on a strong single core performance.
Multiplayer games like the 8 threads you have.
Fast action games respond to faster graphics cards.

I suspect you are cpu limited.

To test how many cores are useful to you, here is another test:
You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the...

majaczos22

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
Go for it, especially when it's cheaper (and faster) than 1060.
Did you OC your 8300? Because modern games are ok with multiple cores so your CPU should do pretty fine (of course as a basic option).

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
The FX 8300 will hold back a 1660 moderately to significantly in modern CPU heavy games regardless of CPU clock speed. Still certainly a better buy than the 1060. VR tends to run at a higher resolution which will put more load on the GPU versus say a 1080p monitor however I would still expect a FX 8300 to hold back a 1660 in a lot of more recent games.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019
The FX 8300 will hold back a 1660 moderately to significantly in modern CPU heavy games regardless of CPU clock speed. Still certainly a better buy than the 1060. VR tends to run at a higher resolution which will put more load on the GPU versus say a 1080p monitor however I would still expect a FX 8300 to hold back a 1660 in a lot of more recent games.
Yeah thanks so will I get any more fps than the 1050 ti

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Make and model of this power supply?
[Open the case up and find the label. Ex: Corsair RM650X.]

gigabyte GA-78LMT-usb3
No issues there then.

Also I play games like coaster simulator gta v bio shock infinite fallout 4
Should be 60fps playable @ 1080p - medium settings, more on low with 1050Ti.
Expect some dips to 20 - 30fps during cpu heavy scenarios - this is where the FX-8300 is weak.

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
my fx-8350 cant handle anything and I have a RX-570 8GB and It couldn't do vr in its wildest dreams. I'd say save up your cash and get a 3600 on a b450 board with some 3600mhz ram with 18 CAS and at least 18-22-22-42 and then get a 1660 or by that time you could snag a 2070 pretty cheap lol.

Sep 19, 2019
my fx-8350 cant handle anything and I have a RX-570 8GB and It couldn't do vr in its wildest dreams. I'd say save up your cash and get a 3600 on a b450 board with some 3600mhz ram with 18 CAS and at least 18-22-22-42 and then get a 1660 or by that time you could snag a 2070 pretty cheap lol.
Yeah I would but I have to wait awhile until I can change the board but I’m not planning on playing on the brand new titles

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
VR is a different ballpark. The needs of VR shouldn't be compared to normal games.

my psu is kolink core series 500 watts 80 plus
Not a true 500w. It's acually 396w on the +12v rail, which is what the bulk of your PC runs off of.
FX-8300 of ~120w + 1050Ti of 75w + 50w of headroom for everything else = 245w
Add the 120w 1660, and it's 290w.
That still leaves about another 100w, so the psu should still be able to run it. SHOULD.
And all this is assuming the unit is brand new. Psu's degrade over time, and it's max output does decrease.

I'm not familiar with that brand, so I can't comment on it's quality... but being that it isn't even 80+ bronze(I know some manufacturers are deceptive regarding this), I'd advise against running anything more power hungry than the 1660 on it.

Sep 19, 2019
Anyway I’m probably going to get it some time but I’ll have to wait to get the cpu and that because I literally only had the pc last year Christmas 2017 not far off 2. 2017 year all pc parts were more expensive than they should have been so that was the only pc in my range but thank you.

A graphics upgrade can't help but work.
The question is by how much.
Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Impala640

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
A graphics upgrade can't help but work.
The question is by how much.
Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

A totally unexpected result.
The theory is that by lowering your settings, the graphics card has less work to do and becomes less of a limitation.
If the cpu is capable of generating more frames per second, your fps should have gone up.

Usually, games like sims strategy and mmo tend to depend on a strong single core performance.
Multiplayer games like the 8 threads you have.
Fast action games respond to faster graphics cards.

I suspect you are cpu limited.

To test how many cores are useful to you, here is another test:
You can do this in the windows msconfig boot advanced options option.
You will need to reboot for the change to take effect. Set the number of threads to less than you have.
This will tell you how sensitive your games are to the benefits of many threads.
If you see little difference, your game does not need all the threads you have.

Really, the FX line is all but obsolete for gaming.
Best to plan on a cpu/motherboard/ ram replacement.

Solution