DiabloDizzy

Prominent
Aug 8, 2021
Hi, i have some problem here.
Since yesterday, my computer ran slower than before, and it's disturb my productivity.
Today i downloaded a software to check my CPU temperature and it's sowing almost 60 degrees
celcius in idle. And my question is same as title, should i repaste my CPU?

Full specification :
Intel Pentium G630
Standart Intel HSF
MB ECS H61
RAM 2x2GB DDR3
HDD 320GB
Onboard VGA
No brand PSU
Crappy Office ATX Case

*Room temperature is normal around 25 degrees celcius

Last edited:
That does seem very high for idle but it’s not actually a problem. A more important question is what temperature does it get to when under high load.

There is no harm repasting and it is a good place to start if unhappy with temperatures on a system that is not new.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The stock heatsink fan isn't that much of a good cooler. Give how you're on an old platform, I wouldn't advise on a cooler purchase either although your temps would be slightly lower than what you're seeing now. The case would be your first thing that you need to pay attention to, since lack of proper airflow in and out of the chassis means that you're cooking your hardware. What OS are you working with and what version of the OS are you on(assuming you're on Windows 10)?

By repasting, what thermal paste do you have access to?

DiabloDizzy

Prominent
Aug 8, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The stock heatsink fan isn't that much of a good cooler. Give how you're on an old platform, I wouldn't advise on a cooler purchase either although your temps would be slightly lower than what you're seeing now. The case would be your first thing that you need to pay attention to, since lack of proper airflow in and out of the chassis means that you're cooking your hardware. What OS are you working with and what version of the OS are you on(assuming you're on Windows 10)?

By repasting, what thermal paste do you have access to?

Sorry i forgot, i use windows 7 but idk what's version it is. Maybe i'll use some cheap thermal paste because i have it, it's like 1-2 dollars only. I know it's terrible but i just can't buy 7 dollars thermal paste for this old specs. My CPU usage is pretty high to, it's above 50% even on idle, i guess it's because the RAM

DiabloDizzy

Prominent
Aug 8, 2021
That does seem very high for idle but it’s not actually a problem. A more important question is what temperature does it get to when under high load.

There is no harm repasting and it is a good place to start if unhappy with temperatures on a system that is not new.

I guess the temperature under high load is over 70 degrees, and i think that's why my computer ran slower because throttling of my CPU

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
For a pentium G630 to get to 60C on idle the airflow must be incredibly bad. That is a 65W CPU which runs very cool normally.

You will most likely find the vents for case are obstructed by dust and dirt, and your heatsink is clogged with dust.

Yes to repasting the CPU, but you also need to thoroughly clean out the PC and all fans and vents, paying particular attention to the CPU cooler.

Since you will be removing the cooler, you should really upgrade the CPU while you are there. You should be able to find an i5 2500 or 2400 which will swap into your motherboard for a few dollars on eBay. This would be at least twice as fast as your current CPU.

DiabloDizzy

Prominent
Aug 8, 2021
For a pentium G630 to get to 60C on idle the airflow must be incredibly bad. That is a 65W CPU which runs very cool normally.

You will most likely find the vents for case are obstructed by dust and dirt, and your heatsink is clogged with dust.

Yes to repasting the CPU, but you also need to thoroughly clean out the PC and all fans and vents, paying particular attention to the CPU cooler.

Since you will be removing the cooler, you should really upgrade the CPU while you are there. You should be able to find an i5 2500 or 2400 which will swap into your motherboard for a few dollars on eBay. This would be at least twice as fast as your current CPU.

Yeah, there is 1 fan on the back, but it's already dead for a long. I won't change anythings except thermal paste because it's for office, im not gaming or editing enthusiast. I will clean all of it and then repaste the CPU

Last edited:

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Sorry i forgot, i use windows 7 but idk what's version it is. Maybe i'll use some cheap thermal paste because i have it, it's like 1-2 dollars only. I know it's terrible but i just can't buy 7 dollars thermal paste for this old specs. My CPU usage is pretty high to, it's above 50% even on idle, i guess it's because the RAM
HOLD UP!

It's not on idle since it's at 50%. it is doing something in the background.
My old core 2 duo would not go above 20% without any load. You should check which program is using CPU resources in task manager.
That might be what is running in the background and slowing down your system.

Reactions: SamirD
Jul 27, 2021
In most cases, you shouldn't have to repeat this more than every few years, although you will need to replace your paste if you remove your cooler for some reason. You may also consider reapplying thermal paste if you notice an increase in your processor temperature.