[SOLVED] Should i reuse my old Corsair RM 1000 PSU in my new PC.

Kumar87

Reputable
Jun 8, 2020
Hello Experts !

I am building my new PC with Ryzen5 3600 and GTX 1660 ti on MSI Tomahawk Max mobo. I have my 6 year old Corsair RM 1000 PSU (80 plus Gold ) with 5 years of warranty.

Can i reuse my older PSU on my new build ?

I have done some research and perform AIDA64 FPU test for 2 hours - test results are below -

View: https://imgur.com/a/ihiqgkU

Your help is highly appreciated !

Solution
Thanks for your reply. I need peace of mind.
Please suggest - Is this a good psu for my system?

Corsair TX Series TX550M 550W 80+ Gold Semi-Modular Power Supply - Black

Amazon link - https://www.amazon.in/CORSAIR-TX550M-Semi-Modular-Supply-CP-9020133-UK/dp/B06WW8G3S8?th=1
Yes it is good. The argument that your old PSU degrades over 6 years is also not true IMO. Older RM PSUs are built pretty well, so they can stand the test of time.

Some alternatives:

Kumar87

Reputable
Jun 8, 2020
Thanks ! Earlier i was into mining for a year with that PSU but not now.

I have some money constraint now. Is it not safe to use that PSU for one or two years and then i could buy a good quality PSU ?

Kumar87

Reputable
Jun 8, 2020
ok. Thanks for your reply . I wanted to know whether my PSU is in good health as i don't want any harm to my new PC components. Will a aging PSU could harm the other components?

Kumar87

Reputable
Jun 8, 2020
ok. Thanks. I was mining with amd r9 280 x. Probably 2 to 3 gpu were attached. Any way will try using the PSU for my new build for 6 months to a year till i buy a new PSU.

Kumar87

Reputable
Jun 8, 2020
No I don't think there's any problem with using an RM 1000 for a low power system like that.

I am worried about the aging of the old PSU as it is now 6 year old.

I am still using it on my current 6 year old system (Intel i5 2500k os Asus P8 Z68 Vpro Gen3 mobo)) but without any gpu. As my GPU died 2 years ago. Till now no issue like random shutdown or crashes.

Thanks for the help. I am planning to use this PSU for another 6 months till i buy a good one.

Thanks for your reply. I need peace of mind.
Please suggest - Is this a good psu for my system?

Corsair TX Series TX550M 550W 80+ Gold Semi-Modular Power Supply - Black

Amazon link - https://www.amazon.in/CORSAIR-TX550M-Semi-Modular-Supply-CP-9020133-UK/dp/B06WW8G3S8?th=1
Yes it is good. The argument that your old PSU degrades over 6 years is also not true IMO. Older RM PSUs are built pretty well, so they can stand the test of time.

Some alternatives:

Solution

Kumar87

Reputable
Jun 8, 2020

Some alternatives:

Thank you and all the other experts here for the help. Ok argument taken. Will stay with current PSU for a while and wait for price drop and grab the new PSU .

Reactions: refillable