Question Should I sacrifice an M.2 512GB for an RTX 2060?

SleuthX

Prominent
Jan 22, 2022
I could get a GTX 1660 super with a 512GB M.2, and I could also get an RTX 2060 but I'll have to go with a 240GB SSD. So what should I do in this sensitive situation?

I'm not mixing any ram, I'm getting the same twin stick but after a month or less.

You are mixing ram.

This is the issue @geofelt was mentioning. Whilst it might be the same stick with the same timings, and voltage, they are highly likely to be from different silicon. You don't get any guarantees they will work.

In fact the best advice is to buy a 2 x 8 or 2 x 16gb kit. This ensures they will work together (outside of QVL compatibility)

If I were you. I'd get a 2 x 8gb matched kit, and sell your current single DIMM to offset the cost. Why introduce instability when you don't have to?

Reactions: KyaraM and Tac 25

SleuthX

Prominent
Jan 22, 2022
You are mixing ram.

This is the issue @geofelt was mentioning. Whilst it might be the same stick with the same timings, and voltage, they are highly likely to be from different silicon. You don't get any guarantees they will work.

In fact the best advice is to buy a 2 x 8 or 2 x 16gb kit. This ensures they will work together (outside of QVL compatibility)

If I were you. I'd get a 2 x 8gb matched kit, and sell your current single DIMM to offset the cost. Why introduce instability when you don't have to?
Dude I'm getting the same 1X8 3200mhz ram I have, it didn't run out of stock

logainofhades

Titan
Unless you are getting an insanely good deal, I would not get either of those GPU's. An RX 6600 is faster than a 2060, while being priced around a 1660s. For example:

PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA SC GAMING GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB Video Card ($277.99 @ EVGA)
Video Card: Zotac GAMING Twin Fan GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Challenger D OC Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB Video Card ($270.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-31 13:29 EST-0500

1080p.png

Explain to me how an exact model of the ram with the same frequency and size wouldn't work

I've already done that. So, the memory, although same spec, voltage and timings are most likely from different silicon. This is the key thing.

When you buy in a matched 2 x 8 or 2 x 16gb kit, those DIMMS have been tested to work together. This brings the QVL into line. The QVL is a list of ram that will work as a kit/pack od 2 or 4 DIMMS. If you buy separate DIMMs some time apart, the chances of them being on the same silicon is slim. This is where the DIMMs 'may' not work together.

By adding a single DIMM with the same specs, you are not guaranteed they will work together. You are only guaranteed it when they are from the matched kit. Most memory manufacturers will say this too.

As one of the other posters mentioned, they could work together flawlessly. But you won't know until you try. If they don't work, you know where to go.