Question Should I swap Hyper 212 black edition fan for a noctua fan?

MxzsyXII

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017
Hello everyone,

I've been wanting to change out my wraith stealth cooler on my ryzen 2600, for a hyper 212 black edition. To give me more headroom for overclocking and a bit more quietness.

But I also want to add a secondary exhaust to my case, currently only have 1 exhaust, which is on the top of the case. I wanted to go for a noctua redux fan.

What I would like to know from you guys is, should I put the noctua redux fan on the hyper 212 cooler tower and put the fan that comes with the hyper 212 as the exhaust? Or should I just leave it and put the noctua as the exhaust?

The cpu cooler:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Hyp...46&hvtargid=pla-604216595690&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

The noctua fan: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-red...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Reactions: joeacejr15

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
NF-P12 redux is mediocre on a Cooler, I'd still say it's better than the stock fans because of how long they can last. Neither fan is something you want if you are attempting to push high overclocks.

Fans.jpg

MxzsyXII

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017
NF-P12 redux is mediocre on a Cooler, I'd still say it's better than the stock fans because of how long they can last. Neither fan is something you want if you are attempting to push high overclocks.

Fans.jpg

Thank you for your comment and the graph.

I dont plan to do any major overclocking, hoping to get 4ghz or maybe 4.1ghz out of the 2600. Would this cooler be enough with the noctua fan swapped in?

MxzsyXII

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017
The cooler will perform roughly the same regardless of which fan you put on it which is still quite a bit better than the stock wraith.
Yes I get that it will be better than the wraith, but if it was you, which fan would you use on the tower? The cooler master stock fan or the noctua fan?

If you haven't already purchased the cooler, don't. Its certainly not a worthy investment over the stock wraith cooler. The mild oc you want should be doable, while warm, on the stock. I'd recommend a better cooler, the 212 is just not great anymore.

If you already have the cooler, just use the stock fan. Zero point in investing half the cost of the cooler into a replacement fan that wont gain you anything.

MxzsyXII

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017
If you haven't already purchased the cooler, don't. Its certainly not a worthy investment over the stock wraith cooler. The mild oc you want should be doable, while warm, on the stock. I'd recommend a better cooler, the 212 is just not great anymore.

If you already have the cooler, just use the stock fan. Zero point in investing half the cost of the cooler into a replacement fan that wont gain you anything.
I am buying the extra fan for an exhaust, not purposefully to replace the fan on the 212. But if it improves the 212 then I would swap them

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador

It will give him a 10 °C lower max temp over the Wraith Spire as is, I have tested that myself. This, on the other hand, is a little better for about the same price.

ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO £34.99

Tom's review
Tweaktown review

joeacejr15

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018
Hello everyone,

I've been wanting to change out my wraith stealth cooler on my ryzen 2600, for a hyper 212 black edition. To give me more headroom for overclocking and a bit more quietness.

But I also want to add a secondary exhaust to my case, currently only have 1 exhaust, which is on the top of the case. I wanted to go for a noctua redux fan.

What I would like to know from you guys is, should I put the noctua redux fan on the hyper 212 cooler tower and put the fan that comes with the hyper 212 as the exhaust? Or should I just leave it and put the noctua as the exhaust?

The cpu cooler:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Hyp...46&hvtargid=pla-604216595690&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

The noctua fan: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-red...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

1. If I wanted more performance, I would sell the 2600 and get a 3600x, 3700x, 3800x, or 3900x after updating the bios. Then, if you dont like the wraith prism on the 3700x or above, then I would get a Noctua NH-D14 or Bequiet dark rock pro 4. Or get a 120, 140, 240 or 280mm CPU cooler if your case fits it.

2. If you dont care about noise or cost, I would switch out every case (not cooler) fan with Noctua NF-F12 ippc (or NF-F14 ippc if you need 140mm fans). If you are on a tight budget and just want good silent fans that just do the job, get NF-A12 (or 14 for 140mm) non iipc fans, or if you want black, bequiet pure wings 2.

3. Leave the default fans on your cpu cooler

MxzsyXII

Reputable
Feb 6, 2017
1. If I wanted more performance, I would sell the 2600 and get a 3600x, 3700x, 3800x, or 3900x after updating the bios. Then, if you dont like the wraith prism on the 3700x or above, then I would get a Noctua NH-D14 or Bequiet dark rock pro 4. Or get a 120, 140, 240 or 280mm CPU cooler if your case fits it.

2. If you dont care about noise or cost, I would switch out every case (not cooler) fan with Noctua NF-F12 ippc (or NF-F14 ippc if you need 140mm fans). If you are on a tight budget and just want good silent fans that just do the job, get NF-A12 (or 14 for 140mm) non iipc fans, or if you want black, bequiet pure wings 2.

3. Leave the default fans on your cpu cooler
yh this kind of goes above and beyond what im asking in the question. Im not planning to spend 100£ on upgrading my pc just because i wanted to get a different cooler. this is literally just a cooler upgrade, not doing a complete case fan and cpu overhall

i appreciate the comment but this is not what i asked

joeacejr15

Reputable
Jul 11, 2018
yh this kind of goes above and beyond what im asking in the question. Im not planning to spend 100£ on upgrading my pc just because i wanted to get a different cooler. this is literally just a cooler upgrade, not doing a complete case fan and cpu overhall

i appreciate the comment but this is not what i asked
basically keep the cooler for everything up to the 3700x. Anything over the 3700x including it, unless you use the energy saving setting in ryzen master, get a nice tower cooler or liquid cooler like the ones mentioned

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
basically keep the cooler for everything up to the 3700x. Anything over the 3700x including it, unless you use the energy saving setting in ryzen master, get a nice tower cooler or liquid cooler like the ones mentioned

Have you owned any of those? My guess is no. All of those stock coolers are good enough for XMP to do its thing but none of them are great when you want a constant overclock. The only exception is the Prism RGB with the copper base "Original" that one you can stick on a 2600 and hit respectable temps but the issue is they went cheap and don't make them like that anymore.

Any of these give you 10-15 °C lower temps over those stock coolers and they all can be found under $37 which is the starting retail for those same stock units.

Cool Master Hyper 212 Black, Evo, RGB, T4, MasterAir MA410P
Gamemax Gamma 400, 500 Rainbow, GT BK
ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO, Freezer 12, 13 CO
Thermaltake Contac Silent 12
be Quiet! BK008 Pure Rock Slim
DEEPCOOL Neptwin V2

As far as an AIO goes you need to spend more than $120 to find one more efficient than a Noctua NH-D15 "$89" and you add more noise in the process.

Hopefully, the OP has found his solution otherwise we are just cluttering up his thread. :kikou: