Question Should I swap out my gaming GPU?

TomatoThomas

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
Hey everyone. My gaming PC build has a lot of personality and every part has history to it. But my GPU's story tops it all. I have a GTX 970 4GB, bought when it was the newest thing on the market.
My friend bought it with is i5-4460 build, and used it often throughout high school with us, while I suffered with a GTX 660.
Then he came into some money and built brand new. He sold me his case, mobo, RAM, CPU, and GPU for $400 when he bought his $2k 1070 build.
I have used this 970 ever since. I had a friend who was big into mining crypto, and he sold me an RX 580 8GB for $50. He doesn't know the history on it.

I want to buy a VR headset, and try out some games like Onward and Pavlov. Should I give my 970 a break, put it away safe into hibernation and try out the 580? What do you guys think?

CURRENT SPECS:
i7 8700k (not overlocking...yet...that's a whole other post)
H100i PRO
MSI B360 Arctic
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8)
GTX 970
Corsair 750m

The 580 is a little more powerful then the 970 but not so much its going to blow you away. But still I would swap them mainly for the VRAM increase.

I've never messed with VR games but do know for some it requires quite a beefy GPU (more then the 970 or 580 really) to maintain the high refreshrates required to not get motion sickness.