[SOLVED] Should I try to clean the cpu and/or socket?

Apr 26, 2020
So I did something kinda stupid. I now know not to use gloves, but since I get sweaty hands I used some to install my cpu. The only gloves I had on hand for some reason were lightly dusted and I didn't notice until it was too late.. My question is can the dust (I'm guessing it was cornstarch) effect my cpu or socket in a negative way and if so how should I clean it out without messing up anything? I noticed it tends to stick to some things so would compressed air be enough?

Solution
Shouldn't be an issue unless you stuck your gloved fingers either inside the socket (that'd be really stupid) or on the backside of the cpu (just as stupid). If you just touched the edges of the cpu (recommended) then shouldn't affect anything a little compressed air won't solve.

However, if you got your fingers all over either the baseplate of the cooler/pump or the top of the cpu and left dust there, then a good clean with isopropyl alcohol of both items and a fresh coat of thermal paste is warranted.

Just when using canned air don't use it too close or you get condensation and don't stick your face anywhere near as the powdered cornstarch can enter your lungs and create issues, or at worst an allergic reaction. It's why the FDA...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Shouldn't be an issue unless you stuck your gloved fingers either inside the socket (that'd be really stupid) or on the backside of the cpu (just as stupid). If you just touched the edges of the cpu (recommended) then shouldn't affect anything a little compressed air won't solve.

However, if you got your fingers all over either the baseplate of the cooler/pump or the top of the cpu and left dust there, then a good clean with isopropyl alcohol of both items and a fresh coat of thermal paste is warranted.

Just when using canned air don't use it too close or you get condensation and don't stick your face anywhere near as the powdered cornstarch can enter your lungs and create issues, or at worst an allergic reaction. It's why the FDA has banned powdered gloves in the medical field.

Reactions: Justjoshingya0937
Solution
Apr 26, 2020
I appreciate the advice and yea I handled the cpu on the sides as that would have been even stupider lol I shouldn't have been working on my pc so late, I blame lack of sleep :p I will use compressed air and just double check everything and reapply thermal paste. Thanks again :)

So I did something kinda stupid. I now know not to use gloves, but since I get sweaty hands I used some to install my cpu. The only gloves I had on hand for some reason were lightly dusted and I didn't notice until it was too late.. My question is can the dust (I'm guessing it was cornstarch) effect my cpu or socket in a negative way and if so how should I clean it out without messing up anything? I noticed it tends to stick to some things so would compressed air be enough?
Just saying.... probably the number 1, or a close number 2, way people do damage to their system is cleaning it when it didn't need to be cleaned.

Dust it with canned air or a one of the electronics "blow dusters" (kind of a vacuum in reverse).