Question Should I upgrade from Ryzen 5 2600 to 5600 ?

Nov 29, 2022
Hi,

Would be any good comes from if I update the CPU to R5 5600 , any bottleneck ?
Usually playing in 1440p

My specs:
CPU : R5 2600
Mobo: X470
Ram: 16gb DUAL Channel
VGA: RTX 2070

Which X470 exactly? Be sure to update the BIOS FIRST and just go for the latest after reading notes in all the in-between ones.

I'd suggest going with a 5800X3d, if you can, since it's one of the better gaming CPU's even now. Even if not gut wrenching a 5600 will be an improvement, it just seems a good idea to avoid spending gaming upgrade money on a lesser CPU while the 5800X3d is still available (if you have the motherboard for it).

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Nov 29, 2022
Which X470 exactly? Be sure to update the BIOS FIRST and just go for the latest after reading notes in all the in-between ones.

I'd suggest going with a 5800X3d, if you can, since it's one of the better gaming CPU's even now. Even if not gut wrenching a 5600 will be an improvement, it just seems a good idea to avoid spending gaming upgrade money on a lesser CPU while the 5800X3d is still available (if you have the motherboard for it).
This one :
with latest FW X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it is def a nice upgrade and worth it for sure.

since it is the last cpu's available for that mobo, most are suggesting yu get the best you can for it so you don't have to look again until its time for a platform upgrade. 5700x would offer those few extra cores that should get you the most time out of it possible. above that is not really needed unless you just need the extra cores.

i went from a 3600x to a 5900x and noticed the difference right away. a 2600 to 5600 would be a real obvious boost. not saying it is going to be 2x as fast but you'll notice the difference.

... X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING
I'd go with the 5800X3d on that. And of course, the 5600 is better than what you have now but the X3d is best and you'll know you've pretty much maximized potential of AM4 for gaming.

And don't be concerned about not getting PCIe gen 4. I updated my B550 system to an RX 6800 XT and moved an RX 5700 XT to my son's B450 system . At the same overclock settings TimeSpy and FireStrike GPU scores actually improved. I think because case cooling is better, but Gen 4 definitely doesn't help enough to matter.

Last edited:
Hey there,

For a bump from 2600 to 5600g/x, you are looking at about a 15-25% improvement in IPC. In terms of gaming there could be the same percentage increase with the faster CPU driving the 2070. You can expect a nice lift in max FPS, but also min and average, which is important for game smoothness.

@drea.drechsler has made a really good point about the 5800x 3d. If you can afford it, the bump you will get will be even greater than a 5600g/x. Defo worth considering, as the 5800x 3d is even comparable to Intel's best chips right now. Will keep you gaming strong for a couple of years at least.

Stick in a RTX4080 next year and you will be good to game for another 2-3 years maybe.

and should be the RTX 2070 be suffice for 5600 or 5700x 5800x3d ?
Yes...but it gets a bit more complicated since you have to consider the sort of gaming scenario.

If your preferred 1440p games are triple-a games you'd probably do well to upgrade GPU to get the most solid improvement. A 2070 won't likely play CyberPunk any better with maxed settings, for instance, even with a 5800X. Especially if you'd like to actually game with ray tracing enabled no new CPU will give you much of an improvement, if any. But if you game at lowered settings to maximize FPS in e-sports or PVP games, e.g., FortNite, Valorant, etc., then the 5800X3d should help a 2070 with the best improvement potential.

I'd not consider the 5700X unless you need the extra cores for non-gaming application or it's nearly the same price as a 5600. It might be a little bit better than the 5600 but not really enough to offset the extra cost for gaming alone.

Last edited: