[SOLVED] Should I upgrade my CPU or GPU?

NathanHeerde

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016
Hello,

So I mainly play Warzone atm. I have a 240hz monitor and would like to acquire frame rates closer or over 240.

Here are my specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x
RTX 2080 Super ROG Strix
16GB RAM @ 3600Mhz CL18
1TB m.2 SSD
500GB m.2 SSD
bequiet 700w PSU

Now after seeing some performance of the 3080, and the 6800XT, I like to get one of these myself. But in the tests shown they were using either the intel high end cpu's or the new ryzen cpu's.
I have seen videos of these cards with my current cpu with the new cards, but they provide similar performance.
That's why I'm in a bit of a pickle. Do I upgrade the cpu or the gpu? Or both? :| I don't have the money for both tbh.

Hope I can get some advice.

Solution
Hello,

So I mainly play Warzone atm. I have a 240hz monitor and would like to acquire frame rates closer or over 240.

Here are my specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x
RTX 2080 Super ROG Strix
16GB RAM @ 3600Mhz CL18
1TB m.2 SSD
500GB m.2 SSD
bequiet 700w PSU

Now after seeing some performance of the 3080, and the 6800XT, I like to get one of these myself. But in the tests shown they were using either the intel high end cpu's or the new ryzen cpu's.
I have seen videos of these cards with my current cpu with the new cards, but they provide similar performance.
That's why I'm in a bit of a pickle. Do I upgrade the cpu or the gpu? Or both? :| I don't have the money for both tbh.

There is a way to test this - lower...
Hello,

Here are my specs:
Ryzen 7 3700x
RTX 2080 Super ROG Strix
16GB RAM @ 3600Mhz CL18
1TB m.2 SSD
500GB m.2 SSD
bequiet 700w PSU

There is a way to test this - lower the graphics settings as far as possible (even drop to 720p if necessary) to make sure the bottleneck is on the CPU and see what FPS you can achieve - this will be the hard ceiling that your cpu can drive. A faster gpu won't be able to push higher than the cpu limit, but will allow you to reach that limit with higher graphics settings. The Ryzen 7 3700X is a pretty good gaming cpu, and you have it paired with fast memory so I think you should be able to hit pretty high frame rates with it. What motherboard do you have as you didn't mention? If it's based on a 400 or 500 series chipset you can get a Ryzen 5000 series cpu as a drop in replacement, if the cpu is the limiting factor.

Solution

NathanHeerde

Reputable
Nov 21, 2016
Aorus x570 Elite, forgot to add it to the list indeed.
I will test out what you said. But I have tried upping the render resolution, and this does not seem to affect fps much up to 130 or so.

Staticisgood

Honorable
Oct 27, 2014
My main PC is using the 3700X. I was using a 2070 Super until I purchased the 3080fe. I have better performance in all games that I play with maxed settings.
It is my opinion that the 3700X is just fine. I personally will be upgrading the CPU next though to a 5800X.