Should I upgrade my CPU+RAM+Mobo or GPU first?

imStorm3r

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017
Hello.
I want to upgrade my rig but I don't know much about bottlenecking so I want you guys to help me choose between a new GPU or a new CPU+RAM+Mobo.
My specs are:

- GTX 950 2G
- i5-4460
- 8GB RAM DDR3 (1x4GB 1600 MHz, 1x4GB 1333 MHz)
- MSI Z97 GAMING 3

The GPU I want to get is GTX 1070ti.
The CPU: i7-8700K
The memory: 16GB RAM DDR4
I haven't decided about the mobo yet but I just want something that can sustain what I want to get.

So which option is the best? Can my components sustain that GPU or vice versa?

Thanks for reading!

Solution
depends on your job or if you work-at-home tho. or what you do on your daily tasks. my old gpu 560Ti could handle all the latest games. since the cost of just upgrading everything but the gpu is the same as the price of a 1080Ti, it sounded reasonable for me to upgrade everything else first and do the GPU upgrade later. at least with this, i wont have any headaches about the latest usb devices not working as expected and my daily tasks work so much faster now.

about sustainability, yes old gpu works perfectly fine with a z370 mobo, 8700k and a 3200Mhz 2x8G RAM. after getting the 1080ti, it was just a breeze to just remove one hardware and auto-tune my games with geforce experience to get that instant boost.

but of course either way is...
GPU first. PSU upgrade may be necessary for that. What's the model name of your current PSU?
then ram (to 16GB DDR3);
then SSD (if you don't have it already);
only then start thinking about CPU upgrade to i7-4790 (not sure if it's really necessary though, depends on workload).

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
depends on your job or if you work-at-home tho. or what you do on your daily tasks. my old gpu 560Ti could handle all the latest games. since the cost of just upgrading everything but the gpu is the same as the price of a 1080Ti, it sounded reasonable for me to upgrade everything else first and do the GPU upgrade later. at least with this, i wont have any headaches about the latest usb devices not working as expected and my daily tasks work so much faster now.

about sustainability, yes old gpu works perfectly fine with a z370 mobo, 8700k and a 3200Mhz 2x8G RAM. after getting the 1080ti, it was just a breeze to just remove one hardware and auto-tune my games with geforce experience to get that instant boost.

but of course either way is fine, and its up to you man.

Solution

imStorm3r

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017

I want to play games.
Right now I'm on a TV but before the upgrade I'll get a 144Hz 1920x1080

imStorm3r

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017

My PSU is RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS and I have an SSD
I'm getting a new mobo because I want to move to DDR4 and that processor that I stated is pretty affordable where I live.

imStorm3r

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017

Of course man. I just want to avoid bottleneck xd.

Your existing cpu/motherboard/memory combo will not get you 144 FPS to match your new monitor's high refresh rate. You will have to purchase all of this to obtain that:
The GPU I want to get is GTX 1070ti.
The CPU: i7-8700K
The memory: 16GB RAM DDR4

imStorm3r

Prominent
Aug 5, 2017

I'm aware of this.

Purchase the cpu/motherboard/memory combo now. Then purchase the graphics card monitor combo in the future.