[SOLVED] Should I upgrade my powerline adaptors?

Oct 4, 2019
So for the past 2 years i have had the d-link dhp-300av which i got from my grandparents house since they internet company gave it to them. I've been using them to the best extent. They bumped my wifi speeds of 600kb/s to 1.1mb/s down and i don't even wanna say what the upload is :/ . However the ping went up from 28 to 50 this is something i have gotten used to and don't mind. However, with recently internet upgrades i have noticed that my speeds are the same. So is it time to buy new adaptors or is it something else?

Thanks for any advice in the future :)

Solution
How fast is the internet connection you pay for. If you run speedtest via the powerline units do you get fairly close to the speed you pay for. As long as you get the rated speed new units will not be any faster. It is not likely the powerline units cause that much delay. They add a couple ms.

Never saw ones with 300 number before. The standards have always been av200 and av500.

The new technology is called av2 and the av2-600 units are about the same price as the older av500 units. The newer units are much faster than the old technology. Still even the very fastest av2-1200 units get maybe 150mbps in most houses.
How fast is the internet connection you pay for. If you run speedtest via the powerline units do you get fairly close to the speed you pay for. As long as you get the rated speed new units will not be any faster. It is not likely the powerline units cause that much delay. They add a couple ms.

Never saw ones with 300 number before. The standards have always been av200 and av500.

The new technology is called av2 and the av2-600 units are about the same price as the older av500 units. The newer units are much faster than the old technology. Still even the very fastest av2-1200 units get maybe 150mbps in most houses.

Solution
Oct 4, 2019

Well everytime I ask my dad about it he gets mad because I always say the internet is slow. Supposedly I get around 9 -16 mb/s and on some speed tests I get about 9 and some I get 3 so I'm not sure. Really I get 1.1 mb/s on Steam to a very local server. The wiring in my house is modern so I know that can't be an issue. The 300s are made for a company called TalkTalk

Might be worth buying a new pair of widely available powerline adapters rather than using those supplied to TalkTalk subscribers --- you'll never know if a different pair will make a difference until you try them. Hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.

But before you buy them, are you able to test your broadband speed over ethernet without using any powerline adapters?

TRENDING THREADS