Should i upgrade my ram or ssd?

patriciogregorio

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017
hi, i have a very old pc, running a g2030 with 4gb of ram, and a hdd, is very slow turning on but idk if i should go for a ssd or 4gb ram more ? i want the ssd but what about bottleneck ?

Solution
I'd get the SSD and not spend a penny more on that old setup. If you add ram now, you can't carry it over should you finally decide to move to something newer. Not the case for the SSD. Save up for a new cpu/mobo/ram.

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
It will depend on your budget, however I would upgrade RAM first.

However I would really consider a completely new machine, there comes a point where throwing money at an old machine is not worth the cost.
Sooner rather than later things will start failing.

However to answer your question. Your order of priority should be:
1 RAM
2 SSD/HDD

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'd get the SSD and not spend a penny more on that old setup. If you add ram now, you can't carry it over should you finally decide to move to something newer. Not the case for the SSD. Save up for a new cpu/mobo/ram.

Solution

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
ssd will not give you any benefit on the current system as disk is not your bottleneck.

However agree that the SSD will be portable.

However the RAM will be a lot cheaper.

So it depends on your budget and requirement.

patriciogregorio

Prominent
Sep 26, 2017

ty but what u mean that will not give me benefit? should boot in second right? and in argentina the ram and ssd cost the same xd

asoroka

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Boot may be marginally faster, however in real world usage I am not sure that your system will feel much faser.

With only 4GB or RAM, you will be doing swapping, so a fast disk will give some benefit, however avoiding swapping will have a greater effect.

What is your memory usage under your normal load?

Are you using 64bit Windows or 32 Bit windows. If it is 32 bit then you can't use more than 4GB of RAM.