Should I upgrade my win98se pc...........

Thanks for the link. I do have generally more than the stated
requirements to run xp but can someone tell me what 'video ram' is? I
know my pc has about 400 and something mb of normal ram but when people
talk video cards etc I get a bit confused. Mine is all built in I
presume as I use a dvd drive with that intervideo thingy to play films
and all is well on my current os. I don't have any problems playing the
sims games either although after adding all those expansion packs
starting the game up can be a little slow.

--
PSYCHOPIXIE

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

This is a great reason to stay with the 9x line and just update to 98SE.
From your post, I gather that you have shared ram. I have an ATI Radeon 9200
with 128mb of video ram and AGP 8x capabilities. My 512mb's of DDR ram is
seperate on my 2.4 Ghz Intel P4 machine with a 430 watt Antec power supply.
I have more than enough power for my current needs as well as supplying my
power needs in the future. Your shared ram is part of your total ram so if
you have 128 mb's of ram for instance you may only have 120 mb's of ram if 8
megs of ram are going towards video. Does this make any sense? I think
someone else may explain it better than I can but at least I gave it a try.
:>

:
: Gary S. Terhune Wrote:
: > Which means you have 6 to 8 GB used. Add 1/3, or approx. 2 to 2.7 GB
: > (so that the result is 25% free space) and you end up with a minimum
: > partition size of 8 to 10.7 GB. If it's on the low end of that scale,
: > you have room to install an XP system--but not much room left over. If
: > it's actually more like 8 GB now occupied, you simply don't have
: > enough
: > room left to do more than install the XP OS to play with, with very
: > few
: > and very small additional apps.
: >
: > Go with your laptop, and if you later decide to upgrade the desktop,
: > get
: > another drive for the job.
: >
: > --
: > Gary S. Terhune
: > MS MVP Shell/User
: > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
: > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
: >
: > Menno Hershberger Wrote:-
: > PSYCHOPIXIE PSYCHOPIXIE.1lj4by@news.win98banter.com wrote in
: > news:pSYCHOPIXIE.1lj4by@news.win98banter.com:
: > -
: >
[...]
: --
: PSYCHOPIXIE

Video requires a certain amount of its own RAM, RAM that is dedicated to
video processing. If you have a plug-in video card, it usually has its
own RAM. If your video is "onboard"--integrated into the motherboard--it
will typically grab some of the system RAM. Two considerations: How much
RAM does the video use, and how much of that comes from the system RAM?
The former is important in that its an indication of how much your video
adapter can handle, the latter is important in that you have to deduct
any system RAM that is devoted to video from the total before applying
that number to any "minimum requirement" specs.

Example: You have 96MB of RAM, but your onboard video uses 8 of those.
For the purposes of determining compliance with minimum requirements,
you only have 88 MB of system RAM.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User