[SOLVED] Should I upgrade my x570 tomahawk mobo?

TechGuy75

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020
Hi guys. I was planning on doing a 3700x cpu and pair it with a x570 tomahawk, a $200 ish mobo. now I am planning on stepping it up a bit and go with a 3900x. So I am thinking that I need to step my mobo up as well, to do the 3900x justice. Therefore I am looking for an even more highend board than my tomahawk. I am looking at something in the $250 to $300 ish range. I am happy feature wise with my tomahawk, it has all the connections, ports that I need. I am just looking for a mobo that does better with durability, construction, vrms, thermals, just more premium in general. Not sure about overclockin. I probably wont but might over clock the 3900x some, not a lot. Not sure if the 3900x is easy to overclock or even worth it. Might be nice to have the option for the future.

btw - on sites like newegg there are some good informative reviews but it seems most mobos have some really bad reviews too. Not just your 1 star with no details or the words “doa”, but some good descriptions on why the rating is given and the problems the person experienced. This is even for the high end popular boards, and some of the problems seem consistent from person to person, so I don’t think they are wrong. Pretty scary.

What do you think?

Solution
This is what I am asking. Would a higher end board give me better thermals, better current delivery to the cpu, more durable and longer lasting capacitors, thicker pcb, etc, just a better or higher end experience. Since I am moving to a $500+ cpu, I want to make sure my build is balanced with parts that are of the same level. As mentioned, feature wise the tomahawk is fine for me. I saw the tomohawk reviews out there and it sounds real impressive, especially for its price point. Since I was looking for a $200 ish board at the time, it was a no brainer for me, but now given my cpu upgrade, I m curious as to whats noticeably better.

A couple of boards I am comparing the tomahawk with are:

• Asus rog strix e
  • msi meg...
Hi guys. I was planning on doing a 3700x cpu and pair it with a x570 tomahawk, a $200 ish mobo. now I am planning on stepping it up a bit and go with a 3900x. So I am thinking that I need to step my mobo up as well, to do the 3900x justice. Therefore I am looking for an even more highend board than my tomahawk. I am looking at something in the $250 to $300 ish range. I am happy feature wise with my tomahawk, it has all the connections, ports that I need. I am just looking for a mobo that does better with durability, construction, vrms, thermals, just more premium in general. Not sure about overclockin. I probably wont but might over clock the 3900x some, not a lot. Not sure if the 3900x is easy to overclock or even worth it. Might be nice to have the option for the future.

btw - on sites like newegg there are some good informative reviews but it seems most mobos have some really bad reviews too. Not just your 1 star with no details or the words “doa”, but some good descriptions on why the rating is given and the problems the person experienced. This is even for the high end popular boards, and some of the problems seem consistent from person to person, so I don’t think they are wrong. Pretty scary.

What do you think?
Upgrade to what and why ? 3900x will be just as happy on it as on any x470/x570MB, or 3950x/5900x or 5950.x. Only if you have some objections about equipment and way it works.

kwikgta

Honorable
Feb 27, 2016
I'm running a 5950x with PBO4 enabled on a X570 Tomahawk. I see no need to upgrade.
134994573_2875361026079595_7461911434095363100_o.jpg

TechGuy75

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020
Upgrade to what and why ? 3900x will be just as happy on it as on any x470/x570MB, or 3950x/5900x or 5950.x. Only if you have some objections about equipment and way it works.

This is what I am asking. Would a higher end board give me better thermals, better current delivery to the cpu, more durable and longer lasting capacitors, thicker pcb, etc, just a better or higher end experience. Since I am moving to a $500+ cpu, I want to make sure my build is balanced with parts that are of the same level. As mentioned, feature wise the tomahawk is fine for me. I saw the tomohawk reviews out there and it sounds real impressive, especially for its price point. Since I was looking for a $200 ish board at the time, it was a no brainer for me, but now given my cpu upgrade, I m curious as to whats noticeably better.

• Asus rog strix e
  • msi meg unify
your thoughts on these boards or others in this $300 ish price range? Thanks.

TechGuy75

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020
I'm running a 5950x with PBO4 enabled on a X570 Tomahawk. I see no need to upgrade.
134994573_2875361026079595_7461911434095363100_o.jpg

I am not going to be doing all the rgb, but your build looks nice. At least I know from your build that I am not making a mistake going with the Tomahawk. What was your reason for not going with a more expensive/higher end board?

btw - looks like you have a logtech z5500. I bought that several years ago. Nice system.

• Asus rog strix e
  • msi meg unify
your thoughts on these boards or others in this $300 ish price range? Thanks.
Well, as soon as you see Rog, Strix, Gaming etc. it already means that it's overpriced, Similar case with MSI and others, just different bombastic names. I'd rather have a look at bIOS features, Asus does have best ones although some bios features may sound weird.

Solution

TechGuy75

Reputable
Nov 19, 2020
Well, as soon as you see Rog, Strix, Gaming etc. it already means that it's overpriced, Similar case with MSI and others, just different bombastic names. I'd rather have a look at bIOS features, Asus does have best ones although some bios features may sound weird.

lol. Let me ask this, the rog strix has 2 wired ethernet ports, a realtek 2.5 gb and an intel 1 gb. What would this be beneficial for? Some reviews of this board actually mentioned that this is a pain since 2 different drivers are needed. Besides, why are they different speeds?

lol. Let me ask this, the rog strix has 2 wired ethernet ports, a realtek 2.5 gb and an intel 1 gb. What would this be beneficial for? Some reviews of this board actually mentioned that this is a pain since 2 different drivers are needed. Besides, why are they different speeds?
That would be good for server or just file server, Over 1 Gbps for some really fast internet too. You don't really need drivers for both unless both are used.